Partitioning a floppy - Possible? How?

Post by Dave Fishe » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Is it really possible to partition a floppy?

I'd like to do so, for safe partitioning exercises, on beginners' Linux
training courses.

Fdisk implies that it may be possible, if you can set numbers of heads,
cylinders and sectors

Has anyone ever done it?

If so how?

TIA

Dave

Partitioning a floppy - Possible? How?

Post by Tim Hayn » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Is it really possible to partition a floppy?

Looks like it!

Quote:> I'd like to do so, for safe partitioning exercises, on beginners' Linux
> training courses.
> Fdisk implies that it may be possible, if you can set numbers of heads,
> cylinders and sectors
> Has anyone ever done it?
> If so how?

Me, I just did fdisk /dev/fd0, and the next thing you know is you've got half
the disk being DOS (type=6) and half being linux.

OTOH there are some severe problems actually *using* the disk - most notably
that when you're playing with fdisk it talks about /dev/fd0p[12] but on
checking in /dev, I don't have any such devices. Meep?

--
~Tim

| Geek Code: GCS dpu s-:+ a-- C++++ UBLUAVHSC++++ P+++ L++ E--- W+++(--) N++ |
| w--- O- M-- V-- PS PGP++ t--- X+(-) b D+ G e++(*) h++(*) r--- y-           |
|  .|` Clouds cross the black moonlight /                                    |
|      Rushing on down to the circle of the turning world .|`   (Runrig)     |
`----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Post by Michael McConnel » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Is it really possible to partition a floppy?

Yes it is, though the only system I've seen which can do this is Minix.
I'm not certain if Linux can.

Quote:> I'd like to do so, for safe partitioning exercises, on beginners' Linux
> training courses.

> Fdisk implies that it may be possible, if you can set numbers of heads,
> cylinders and sectors

> Has anyone ever done it?

Only in Minix. Indeed it's install boot/root and /usr discs can be combined
in such a way to allow the /usr 'half' to be /dev/fd0c (in Minix).

Even if Linux could, I don't see how you would be able to acces the
partitions.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available

                Eridani: Your PC doesn't need Windows or Gates.

Post by Dave Fishe » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > Has anyone ever done it?

> Only in Minix. Indeed it's install boot/root and /usr discs can be combined
> in such a way to allow the /usr 'half' to be /dev/fd0c (in Minix).

> Even if Linux could, I don't see how you would be able to acces the
> partitions.

I think this may be the problem.  At first sight, you need to create new
device files to address the partitions created by fdisk, but there do
not appear to be the major/minor numbers available to do this.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who can.

Dave

David Fisher
Business Development
GBdirect - Linux Consultancy and Training
tel: +44 (0)1274 772277

www.gbdirect.co.uk
www.linuxtraining.co.uk
www.trainingpages.co.uk

1. Is it Possible to enlarge a SWAP partition from a EXT2 partition?

Is it possible to RESIZE the LINUX ext2 partition and create a larger
SWAP space..
Currently my SWAP partition is only 16 Megs and I would like to increase
it to 32 by using some of my linux ext2 partition..

Is there a utility to resize Linux EXT2 Parition.. Does Partition
Magic or other software support this.. or can I just force it
with fdisk?

Any help would be apprecitated..

Thanks.

Jay

2. Nvidia kernel module

3. Is it possible to use UMSDOS without floppy?

4. Screen Resolution

5. Diskless (aside from floppy) Linux possible?

6. WAP server

7. Minimal boot and root together on 1.44 floppy...possible?

8. setfont

9. Is it possible to install FreeBSD w/o floppy?

10. From single-user-mode, using floppy, volcheck: possible?

11. Mandrake 8.0 install w/o neither floppy NOR bootable CDROM -- possible...?

12. floppy reset called -- possible solution.

13. User mount floppy - auto detect fs type. Possible ?