Real silly Q about FTAPE

Post by Yan Xi » Sun, 13 Nov 1994 00:25:14

How does one connect tape drive (say, Jumbo 250)
to the floopy drive controller?  I looked at
the controller, and it has one cable with
two plugs, each for one of the floppy
drives.

(Or it will be clear once I have the tape drive
on hand).

Yan xiao

Real silly Q about FTAPE

Post by James Klaa » Tue, 15 Nov 1994 22:21:11

>How does one connect tape drive (say, Jumbo 250)
>to the floopy drive controller?  I looked at
>the controller, and it has one cable with
>two plugs, each for one of the floppy
>drives.

My tape drive came with a "Y" cable for the floppy bus, but my floppy bus
came with three plugs on it shouldn't have needed it except for space
limitations.  You can also buy plugs and put one on yourself or buy a
floppy bus cable with three.   Good Luck.

| "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  |
|                            rigged demo."                           |
|"We are MicroSoft.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile."|
|                                    - B. G.                         |

Real silly Q about FTAPE

Post by John O'Brie » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 10:14:10

The Jumbo tape drive comes with a cable which is connected to one of the
floppy ports on the floppy controller.  The floppy cable which you dis-
connected so you could plug in the tape drive is then plugged into the
tape drive cable.  Check also if you have enough power connectors else
you will need a Y connector.   I use ftape at work on my linux pc and
it works great.

1. Ftape / TOB trouble (silly?)

This is a strange and likely trivial problem, but very annoying.

After adding the #include <mm.h> lines in three of the ftape2.02
distribution files as mentioned in this newsgroup, ftape compiled
ok with kernel 1.1.93 and also 1.1.94 -so far so good. Also I was able
to setup the nice TOB package (tape back-up script). I made a full
backup of my Linux partition onto my 120 Meg Colorado "250" (in name
only) tape drive.

Now I want to restore some things. Restoring a number of files from a
directory which does not currently exist on my hard drive works ok so
the software is operational.  Now... according to the docs you can use

/sbin/tob -restore '/lib/*' /backup

to pull all backed-up files on tape in the "/lib" directory, and put
them under /backup (ie, /backup/lib/*).  The quotes are to prevent
shell expansion of the wildcard * character.  Fine.

Only, the quotes DON'T prevent expansion of the wildcard
character. The above example dies because /sbin/tob is presented with
too many arguments; to wit, all the files in my current /lib
directory. I can't remove those, otherwise the shared libs and ld.so
and other vital things would not be visible to the kernal and things
would freeze up (not an expert, but I've tried it and that's the
effect).  I'm overlooking something simple here. Why don't quotes
prevent the expansion? I'm using bash but csh has same behavior. What
am I missing?  thanks...

2. newbie eth0 question

3. Arguing is silly... fun, but silly.

4. still having problems with it after checking on the apache faq, any body else any ideas?

5. silly MTU problem? Or am I silly?

6. Starting Linux Kernel Programming

7. real, working "mt" for latest ftape (and dump too)?

8. Password does not decrypt secret key?

9. problem using ftape "can't open /dev/ftape"

10. ftape: no /dev/ftape or other

11. Ftape would say /dev/ftape <no such device>

12. Ftape : "Timer Expired" on /dev/ftape problem

13. Ftape 2.02 hangs /dev/ftape - leaves afio running