Restoring text mode with svgalib and Trident 8900c

Restoring text mode with svgalib and Trident 8900c

Post by Mark Juric [MSA » Thu, 26 Aug 1993 07:46:02

Hi all,
  This note is mainly for Trident video victims, er... users.  Whenever I use
an application that uses vgalib (svgalib.05), text is never correct when I
return from the application.  Every other letter is printed twice, over the
top of the next letter:  the words "this_is_my_prompt:>" come out like
hhssii__yyppoopp::  I know this is a problem with the card, because it happens
under MSWindows when I start up in debugging mode.  I fixed it under DOS by
writing a a 5 line assembly language program that calls the int 10 video
interrupt with video mode 3 (text).  Has anyone done something similar with
Linux?  How would one go about writing such an assembly program in language?
(int 10h is a BIOS interrupt).
  BTW:  the reset or restore_text_mode in svgalib will actually make a normal
text console go into the above gyrations...  Now the odd thing is, the SLS
distribution vgalib did not cause this problem (but wouldn't let me access
higher resolutions).  Is the Trident specific video calls that much different
than the generic vga calls?
  Mucho thanks...

p.s.  Linux pl10
      svgalib.05
      Trident8900c 1024k
      8 meg memory

 ###  Mark Juric                               A.I. Programs               ###

Post by Jason Neudo » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 01:41:25

: Hi all,
:   This note is mainly for Trident video victims, er... users.  Whenever I use
: an application that uses vgalib (svgalib.05), text is never correct when I
: return from the application.  Every other letter is printed twice, over the
: top of the next letter:  the words "this_is_my_prompt:>" come out like
I have the same problem.

: (int 10h is a BIOS interrupt).
Unfortunately, you can't access the BIOS from linux (its been discussed).

This followup is not to add content, just to affirm that the problem exists
and to plead for the true hackers among us to do something.

Restoring text mode with svgalib and Trident 8900c

Post by Laszlo Hercz » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 03:04:44

 Get the tvgalib package from sunsite -- it will solve the text-mode
restore problems associated with svgalib.

Be careful : our subnet is being run on the (as yet) unreliable net-2 code

1. svgalib 1.26, S3 Trio64: cannot restore text mode

I have come across the following problem.  Any hints will be appreciated.

Hardware:  Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM, 2MB, PCI, S3 Trio64 chipset.

svgalib:   1.26 as of 27 Apr 95.

Symptom:   On a virtual console, the screen goes completely blank on
           exit from a graphics mode.

           Detection of chipset (S3/Trio64) seems to be successful.
           There is no problem entering a graphics mode (tested by
           one of the demo programs "vgatest", and "linuxsdoom").
           But on exit, the text mode is not restored.  Further
           keyboard inputs are not echoed to the screen.

           The only way to recover seems to be rebooting.

           I am not sure what the scripts "savetextmode" and
           "restoretextmode" do, but they are of no use in this case.
           The text screen blanks out as soon as they are invoked.

History:   I have been using svgalib 1.24 successfully - the only
           little problem is that svgalib reports "unknown S3 chipset
           1e11", although the graphics applications run happily.
           I understand that svgalib 1.26 has better support for S3.
           It turns out that the chipset (S3/Trio64) is detected
           correctly, but text mode cannot be restored, as described.

           The file /usr/local/lib/libvga.config contains the
           following lines, and nothing else.

                mouse Microsoft
                monitor 66.0
                chipset S3
                verbose
                nolinear

           By the way, XFree 3.1.1 runs happily with this hardware.

Question:  Am I missing something (in terms of configuration, etc),
           or is this a bug / unsupported feature?

--

2. FAT32 to Win/Linux migration

3. SVGAlib does not restore text-mode (Diamond Stealth 64)

4. Double execution of CGI with apache

5. Trident 8900C and SVGALIB 1.1.8 problem in 800x600

6. Help changing video driver

7. svgalib problems with TEXT mode

8. Need help setting up NAT

9. S3 Trio-64 with SVGALIB fails switching back to text mode

10. SVGAlib - how do I write text in graphics mode?

11. Svgalib doesn't return to text mode

12. Unable to get 132x25 text mode from SVGAlib

13. svgalib + ET4000 + SVGA text mode(s)