LILO or NT boot loader ??

Post by Lasse Kim Christians » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 20:07:13

I Know, I know !!! Im talking about a microsoft product.

Could anyone tell me in what order i should install both NT, dos, and
Linux on the same machine. Primarily i am thinking of the boot loader.

I know that NT will recognise DOS when i install it so i should install
DOS before NT. But what about Linux and LILO ???? Should i install LILO
first and let it do the jobs (can it ??) or should i use the NT boot
loader ???

Thanks in advance

Lasse K. Christiansen

DHL Worldwide Express A/S Denmark

LILO or NT boot loader ??

Post by J. Fritz Barn » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 21:35:14

: I Know, I know !!! Im talking about a microsoft product.

: Could anyone tell me in what order i should install both NT, dos, and
: Linux on the same machine. Primarily i am thinking of the boot loader.

: I know that NT will recognise DOS when i install it so i should install
: DOS before NT. But what about Linux and LILO ???? Should i install LILO
: first and let it do the jobs (can it ??) or should i use the NT boot
: loader ???

: Thanks in advance

: Lasse K. Christiansen

: DHL Worldwide Express A/S Denmark

Hello,

  Having gone through this process I can tell you what has worked for me.
I installed Dos first, than installed NT, and finally installed linux on
top of NT.  The lilo boot loader then prompts me whether I want to run
linux or dos.  If I choose dos, the NT loader comes up.  there might be a
way to choose between the three operating systems all at one point but I
haven't discovered how to do that yet.

Fritz

--
J. Fritz Barnes            | Network Programmer/Projects

                           | (810) 623-6700  FAX: (810) 623-1469
sig-page:                  | http://www.coast.net/
http://www.acs.oakland.edu/signature/jcbarnes.html

1. Problems with LILO in NT Boot Loader.

Hello.

I used to have a dual boot system using both XP and Mandrake 8.1. However, I
needed to have a legacy OS installed, and so I attempted to tri-boot with
98. However, because it was during the school year, I refused to try too
dramatic anything since I needed a working computer. I deinstalled Linux and
had a XP/98 dual-boot system. So, I waited until school was out and found
out that creating a tri-boot system is very easy. However, here is my
problem:

After I installed Mandrake, I added LILO to the NT (XP) Boot Loader. I did
this through creating an image (lilo -s /mnt/win_c/bootsect.lnx) and
modifing the boot.ini. Using the NT Boot Loader, Mandrake booted up
flawlessly. However, after a reboot and attempting to start Mandrake, it
failed, with LILO stopping at LIL-. So, any effort at rectifying the problem
was done by typing 'rescue' using the Mandrake CD, and booting Linux through
that method. I attempted to begin to fix the problem by typing lilo in the
/etc directory. I didn't hope to accomplish much, but it was something I
could try. Absolutely nothing. Same thing when I tried it in the /boot
directory.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

----
Chris

2. GCC2.8.1/What dim mistake have I made?

3. Unable to boot using NT OS Loader + LILO

4. Suggested CF card reader in Linux

5. Experience report: virus on lilo boot floppy kills NT-loader

6. Weird problems with 1.3.57

7. Lilo boot loader with NT

8. Problem with PS

9. Windows NT Boot Loader and Linux LILO -- which on???

10. Restoring NT boot loader - replacing LILO

11. NT boot Loader and LILO

12. LILO , NT OS Loader Boot probelem

13. LILO/ NT Boot Loader experts