Is there any Lint-like program available?

Is there any Lint-like program available?

Post by S. Joel Ka » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 16:09:23

Is there any C syntax checker available for Linux. The more powerful and
sophisticated, the better (of course). I am quite surprised that I
couldn't find one easily, after all, the name Glint for a GNU version is
almost irresistable!

S. Joel Katz

Is there any Lint-like program available?

Post by Johannes Gros » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 22:10:59

Quote:>Is there any C syntax checker available for Linux. The more powerful and
>sophisticated, the better (of course). I am quite surprised that I
>couldn't find one easily, after all, the name Glint for a GNU version is
>almost irresistable!

You're right, that is an interesting name. However, most of the
functionality of lint is built in to gcc. Try `gcc -Wall' on your
source.

Quote:>S. Joel Katz

--

System Administrator
Intelligent Systems Cluster, Room 244 IACC Building

Post by Fergus James HENDERS » Tue, 28 Sep 1993 01:38:09

>>Is there any C syntax checker available for Linux. The more powerful and
>>sophisticated, the better (of course). I am quite surprised that I
>>couldn't find one easily, after all, the name Glint for a GNU version is
>>almost irresistable!

>You're right, that is an interesting name. However, most of the
>functionality of lint is built in to gcc. Try `gcc -Wall' on your
>source.

Or even better, use the following shell script, which enables a
few additional warnings not enabled by -Wall.

---- cut here ------
#!/bin/sh

# This runs gcc with all warnings enabled, except for the following
# exceptions:
#
# -Wshadow              broken for C++ templates
# -Wredundant-decls     causes too many complaints in system header files
# -Wconversion          really only intended to help people using `unprotoize'
# -Waggregate-return    not useful, IMHO

OPTS="-ansi -pedantic
      -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wid-clash-31 -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual
      -Wenum-clash -Wcast-align -Wtraditional
      -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
      -Wnested-externs
      -Woverloaded-virtual -Winline
      -O -felide-constructors -fnonnull-objects
     "

---- cut here ------

--

Post by Alan C » Wed, 29 Sep 1993 22:06:17

Quote:>Is there any C syntax checker available for Linux. The more powerful and
>sophisticated, the better (of course). I am quite surprised that I
>couldn't find one easily, after all, the name Glint for a GNU version is
>almost irresistable!

This has come up several times and maybe ought to be an FAQ. I'd suggest
feeding your program to

gcc -pedantic -Wall programname.c -c

and watching. Gcc in pedantic warn about everything mode tends to shred
programs that even lint thought were fine. Its a very very good checker.

Alan

1. lint-like tools for C++?

Martin Klaus and I are undertaking an examination of lint-like tools
designed for C++ programs, i.e., tools that look for suspect usage of
C++ features in source code and issue appropriate warnings.  Examples
of such likely errors might include declaration of public data
members or failure to declare a virtual destructor in a base class.

We have identified the following vendors and tools as candidates for
our study:

    Abraxas Software:              CodeCheck
    Centerline Software:           C++Expert
    Gimpel Software                Flexelint/PC-Lint
    HP:                            CodeAdvisor
    ParaSoft:                      CodeWizard
    Programming Research:          QA/C++
    Productivity Through Software: ProLint

If you have personal experience with any of these tools, or if you
know of additional tools that check C++ usage that are not listed
here, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd send me mail about it.

Note that we are only interested in tools that provide nontrivial
support for C++ source code.  We do not wish to consider tools that deal
only with the C subset of C++, nor are we much interested in tools that
focus on a program's dynamic behavior (e.g., monitors of memory usage).

Thanks for your help,

Scott

2. VHDL simulator and Memory

3. Is there LINT available on any linux distribution?

4. Mouse doesn't work in Red Hat 7.0 !

5. is lint available in linux system?

6. home directories

7. Newbie: Likes to learn to write GUI programs in X11

8. How to change screen blank interval

9. Report on lint-like tools for C++

10. Lint C program checker

11. Q: Why am I getting "Sorry - PPP is not available on this system"?????

12. Programming an "WHO AM I" command

13. How to know what shell I am ruuning from a C program?