Copying root partition to another for backup?

Copying root partition to another for backup?

Post by Steve Woodwa » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 09:11:08

How would one copy exactly a whole partition to another one, and then
copy it back exactly as it was before? (I mean without doing each individual
directory by hand). I'd like to remake the file system on one disk, and
it would be quite easy to copy it to another disk I have.

Copying root partition to another for backup?

Post by Jesse Polla » Sat, 04 Sep 1993 06:19:22

Quote:>How would one copy exactly a whole partition to another one, and then
>copy it back exactly as it was before? (I mean without doing each individual
>directory by hand). I'd like to remake the file system on one disk, and
>it would be quite easy to copy it to another disk I have.

The following procedure has worked on several different UNIX systems:

1. create file system on destination drive.

2. Mount new partition (/mnt, or /tmp/mnt are good places..)

3. cd to source file system

4. find . -depth -cpio -pdl <mount point of new partition>

5. dismount destition partition

If using find and cpio is not desired substitute the following

4. tar -cf - | (cd <new filesystem>; tar -xf -)

NOTE: neither of these procedures preserve the inode numbers of the files. They
        both will preserve hard and symbolic links.

Both methods must be done by root.

---
Jesse I Pollard, II

1. How to copy/backup/replicate windows 95 partition under linux?

I backup my linux and dos partitions under linux. I could do this when
I ran windows 3.11. All that I had to do was not to touch the OS files.
The DOS OS files were initially installed in the target partition simply
using a boot disk, ie format /s C:. Now under windows 95, it installs
its own OS files, that are actually different from those that are on the
startup disk even. How do I copy the windows 95 partition (which is
created by DOS 6.22 fdisk or linux fdisk and formatted by dos 6.22 format)
to another hard disk such that it is live windows 95 partition, identical
to the original one? Main problem is installing the OS files for windows
95 without going through the installation.

2. SUPER-PC

3. Copying the root partition to another device

4. printing

5. What is best way to copy over my Linux root & boot partitions?

6. remount readwrite? Does not seem to work for me... sigh...

7. copying root partition

8. Need help configuring an Hitachi CRT display

9. Using dd to backup root partition

10. WANTED : Utility to copy file from Dos Partition (Win95) to Linux Partition

11. Best way to copy partition data onto a bigger partition

12. HELP. Copying entire linux partition to another partition

13. partition to partition copy?