Award BIOS/32 GB disk limitation

Post by Rog » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:37:07

I've encountered the Award BIOS/Maxtor 32GB disk problem described in
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-11.html#jumperbig.
I've attempted the workaround decribed in
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/setmax.c, specifically jumper the
disk to get past the BIOS hang problem, then reset the disk parameters
with setmax.  setmax fails with the message: HDIO_DRIVE_CMD_AEB failed
READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS: Input/output error.  The dumped arg list is
0xf8, 0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x50.

There doesn't seem to be anything otherwise wrong with the
configuration.  The disk seems to work fine with the jumper in place,
and by hacking setmax I've determined other low level commands,
e.g. HDIO_DRIVE_CMD/WIN_IDENTIFY, succeed.

The kernel is 2.2.14 (SuSE 6.4 release, unmodified) and the disk is a
Maxtor model 4D060H3.  FWIW the motherboard is an Elite Computer
Systems ECS P5TXBpro, and there's no BIOS upgrade available from the
manufacturer for this old dog.

Any help would be appreciated.  Also, if there's a more appropriate
forum for this question, please let me know.

Post by Rog » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:17:54

> I've encountered the Award BIOS/Maxtor 32GB disk problem described in
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-11.html#jumperbig.
> I've attempted the workaround decribed in
> http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/setmax.c

------- snip --------

Quote:> The kernel is 2.2.14

RTFS in this case.  Reading the source for the ide drivers in 2.2.14 its
clear that HDIO_DRIVE_CMD_AEB is not supported.  Tho the HOWTO claims
otherwise, the comments in setmax indicate it's intended for a 2.4
kernel.  Time to upgrade...
--

1. 32 GB Drive Size Limitation Jumpers

Some drives come with instructions to run drive makers software to
enable full use of a drive which has the 32 GB jumper set to prevent a
BIOS boot hang. Do they all?

I have a machine (with latest available Award 4.51 BIOS) that hangs on
large drives if the 32 GB limit jumpers are not set. This system
normally has an IBM 60GXP 40 MB with the 32 GB jumper set, plus 2-3 SCSI
drives. Partition Magic, cfdisk, OS/2, and W2K all report the same size,

I did a partial clone to the IBM 40 by temporarily installing a Seagate
Barracuda IV 60 GB 360021A with the 32 MB jumper set. The PC BIOS
reports this as the same 33822 MB size as the IBM 40, which is expected
behavior. I did not try booting either W2K or Linux with this disk
installed, but I did boot OS/2. The puzzle is that OS/2 sees the whole

only the 32 GB jumper limited-size for the IBM drive. Is this something
firmware-specific? Something expected due to a newer drive design? Quirk
of the OS/2 storage driver?
--
"To fear the Lord is to hate evil. . . ."            Proverbs 8:13 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/partitioningindex.html

2. Specs for a Linux mail server

3. Windows95 32 GB drive size limitation

4. raw packets and iptables

5. 45 GB HD - How to get past BIOS limitation?

6. cable modem/window size

7. large disks (> 32 GB)

8. Mysterious unresolved externals in simple char driver

9. TritonII+6x86+Award bios=root disk problems, HELP NEEDED!!!

10. UDMA66 Large Disk (27.3 Gb) == 8 Gb industrial standard disk???

11. BIOS disk size limitation vs Linux and Windows

12. BIOS hard disk limitation

13. BIOS Disk Limitation