xterm seg faults unless run as root

Post by Erik E. Rantap » Sun, 09 Jan 1994 05:43:54

Recently xterm (and rxvt) have been seg faulting even before a window
appears.  It works, however, if root invokes the xterm command.

Yes, /usr/bin/X11/xterm is setuid root, which makes this even more puzzling.

Any ideas?

Post by Erik E. Rantap » Thu, 13 Jan 1994 02:24:52

>Recently xterm (and rxvt) have been seg faulting even before a window
>appears.  It works, however, if root invokes the xterm command.
>Yes, /usr/bin/X11/xterm is setuid root, which makes this even more puzzling.
>Any ideas?

It turns out we just installed a *very* recent version of libc, and backing
out to the older version made the problem go away.

xterm seg faults unless run as root

Post by Matthew S. Baile » Thu, 20 Jan 1994 10:17:26

I am new to printing with linux. I am looking for a printcap and any other
configuration files needed to set up an epson stylus 600. If you could mail
me those files I would be greatly Appreciative.   :-)

Matthew S. Bailey

xterm seg faults unless run as root

Post by Matthew S. Baile » Sat, 22 Jan 1994 01:15:31

this is a followup of my first message I also need the ghostscript stuff.
thanks
matthew s. bailey

1. help: Seg fault with 3.1.1 xterm

Strange small problem time.

I am running Xfree 3.1.1 on a generic 486 using a
very generic S3-911 card, linux kernal 1.1.59, 16MB ram.

Systems (there are two) were first set up with Xfree 3.1
worked great.

Upgraded to 3.1.1 using bits from sunsite, exploded packages
into a  new tree, saved config files,
cpio'd new files over the old files, relinked X
to the new server, everthing works fine.
Tested various apps (xfilemanager, color_xterm, seyon, mosaic, xfractint)
No problems.

When i ran plain  xterm, it failed immediately with:
Segmentation error (or perhapes seg fault, it's been a day)
Same problem on both systems.

I replaced the 3.1.1 xterm with the 3.1 xterm.
Works fine.

Now i assume the xterm binary ain't broke, so i could use a clue.
Is there old cruft from 3.1 that has to be removed?
Should i just run with the old xterm and not worry about it?
Am i missing some huge improvement by not using the new xterm?

--
cliffw

'When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro'- HST

2. Instant messaging inside a network

3. XTERM: Seg. Fault

4. gnome popups

5. Why Wont X Run Unless I am Root?

6. NFS mounting at boot is slow

7. Seg Fault running StarOffice 3.1b3?

8. SMTP problem

9. Seg Fault when running 'more'

10. Running more causes seg fault

11. RH5.0: netcfg won't run unless root

12. DOSEMU serial port won't work unless run as root

13. running knews seg faults