Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

Post by Brad Mill » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 06:05:42

Hi,
        I am trying to make linux partitions on an empty second 170MB
Hard drive.  The drive has been low-level formatted, with
no partitions, and dos fdisk reports everything correct.  I
boot from slackware diskettes, and boot msg says:

check partitions:
hda:  /dev/hda1
hdb: bad partition table

Of course, "fdisk /dev/hdb" does not work, nor "fdisk /dev/hdb1".
(err msg: Unable to read /dev/hdxx).  Suprisingly, fdisk /dev/hda
also gives the same message.

Now, I go back to dos, create and dos format a 16MB partition on
the second hard drive.  Boot under slackware, and boot msg says:

check partitions:
hda: /dev/hda1
hdb: /dev/hdb1

Now, "fdisk /dev/hdb" still gives "unable to read /dev/hdb" msg,
but "fdisk /dev/hdb1" allows me into fdisk.  Unfortunately, it
gives total garbage when I print out contents of partition table
within fdisk (/dev/hdb11 through /dev/hdb12 are all defined with
physical/logical boundry errors).  But as "fdisk /dev/hdb1"
should not work, as /dev/hdb1 is a partition and not a device,
I am not suprised.  But why does fdisk try to operate on a
partition, but not let me operate on the device /dev/hdb????

Help! At wit's end... Any suggestions appreciated, as I am
getting nowhere.  I just want to create linux partitions
on my second hard drive (and I have no problems creating dos
partitions on that drive, so the drive seems to be recognized
find...).

thanks in advance,
Brad Miller

Post by Miles Lo » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 21:53:53

[...]

You could remove all partitions on hdb, and then create new ones using
linux fdisk and mkfs for the linux partitions and dos format for DOS
partition formatting.  This is of course drastic if you have stuff on hdb
already that you need to keep.  Personally, I do not have the room to
move all my zip files off hdb to do this.  I cannot mount the first
partition, myself.

--
Miles Lott, A.A.S. E.E.T.

Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

Post by Tobias Gom » Sat, 19 Nov 1994 18:56:30

Hi,

I had a similar problem: /dev/hdb: bad partition table. /dev/hdb is a
Quantum IDE drive. I used a kernel version 1.1 the patchlevel was about
27. Upgrading the kernel to patchlevel 53 solved the problem.

Tobias