Getting Rid of ANSI-ized Command Line Prompts

Getting Rid of ANSI-ized Command Line Prompts

Post by Eric Poo » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 13:01:08

Since upgrading my 0.99PL15 (which has served me well for almost a year) to
Slackware 1.1.54, I now find that when users log on to the modem ports, their

by character strings that I assume are ANSI attribute codes.

This is fine for people with ANSI capability but otherwise it looks like a
bunch of garbage to the remote user, and in a few cases it's creating some
problems.

So, I'd like to get rid of it altogether and just give people boring-but-clean
monochrome command-line prompts.

I have edited /etc/DIR_COLORS and set COLOR to "none", but that didn't do it.

What else can I do?

 . . . . . e

--

Quote:>--------------------------------------------------------------------<
> NETIS Public Access Internet          A Wildcat! BBS Internet Site <
> Providing  low-cost  Internet  access  for  southern New Hampshire <
> Fidonet, RIME, Usenet, UNIX shell access/FTP/Telnet/Gopher/WWW/IRC <
> UUCP Feeds, Full MS-DOS BBS services                  603-432-2517 <
>--------------------------------------------------------------------<

1. Getting rid of questionmark in CGI command line

I try to set up a Wiki-like system called vanilla written in a language
called REBOL using CGI.
Following error prevents correct working:

Whenever I call the CGI-script it is executed and gives output, but
instead of HTTP-headers and processed HTML I get an REBOL usage screen
followed by the headers and _interpreted_ HTML (no REBOL code in it!)
I found out the commmandline for running the script is:
              /usr/local/rebol/rebol -cs ? /var/www/cgi-bin/vanilla.r
                                                 ^^^
It's this question mark that makes things go wrong. When I run the
script without the "?" output is ok. But when I run it with it, output
is like described above: REBOL usage, HTTP headers, processed HTML
output. After execution the interpreder doesn't terminate, so I could
see it with 'ps ax', nevertheless it seems not to do anything.

So that's what I did to get here:

I installed REBOL under /usr/local/rebol and made a link from
/usr/local/bin to the binary. I made all files used by REBOL world-read-
and -executable (chmod o+rx * -R).
I installed vanilla under /usr/local/vanilla and copied vanilla.r (the
script handling CGI) and vanilla.r.conf to /var/www/cgi-bin . ( I use
Redhat 7.2, they have the document root at /var/www ). chmod o+rx * -R
again on vanilla and the scripts in cgi-bin.
/var/www/cgi-bin is enabled for CGI, test.pl from apache 1.3 docs CGI
section ran as expected.
I checked error_log, nothing in (except some errors from the time parts
of vanilla where not world-readable, -executable)

Standard Apache 1.3.19 with docroot at /usr/local/apache/htdocs/ worked
fine with the same steps in configuration. But I prefere having a system
out of the box  with as less changes as possible.

I think REBOL complains about the questionmark  in the command line.
Does anyone know where this questionmark is put in in Apache and how to
remove it?
I use RedHat 7.2 Linux, Vanilla 0.5, Apache 1.3.20.

Patrick

--
Engineers motto:  [ ]cheap    [ ]good     [ ]fast     choose any two
Patrick Strasser <pstrasser at bigfoot dot de>

2. DIP 3.22a

3. Getting rid of "F?" prompt on system boot?

4. need help with dd

5. ANSI printer ESC codes from command prompt

6. xmkmf-Imake-..lib/X11/config on AIX 3.2

7. Getting rid of `hostname` before login prompt

8. clock skew detected ...

9. getting rid of "Terminal Type?" prompt at login

10. getting status from first command in a piped command line

11. Getting rid of empty lines in Emacs

12. Getting rid of empty lines

13. getting rid of top lines of a file without searching through entire file