Problem with telnet

Post by naue.. » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 05:53:43

Quote:>i am running a linux box next to a novell server with a couple of pc's.
>when i telnet from a PC to the linux there are no problems.  i get my
>login prompt, etc. i can then work normally.
>BUT when i say something like "less bigfile" my telnet session hangs.
>the same also happens if i call up elm just when it is about to show
>the list of my messages.  i suspect i am getting too much data at once
>and the pc cannot handle it and thus dies.
>is it possible to control the speed of such a transmission?
>we also have a couple of real computers on the net, and they are ok talking
>to the pc's and to my linux box.

Hello,

What version of the kernel are you running.  I have had problems using
some DOS software to get to a Linux box.  Could you give more details?

Scott Nauer
Quincy University

Problem with telnet

Post by Dimiter I. Kurt » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 16:15:05

:
: >i am running a linux box next to a novell server with a couple of pc's.

:
: Hello,
:
: What version of the kernel are you running.  I have had problems using
: some DOS software to get to a Linux box.  Could you give more details?
:
: Scott Nauer
: Quincy University

i am running 1.0.9

Dimiter I. Kurtev

p.s. how do i get my proper email address (instead of myhost.subdomain.domain)
into tin?

Problem with telnet

Post by Dimiter I. Kurt » Wed, 07 Sep 1994 23:49:40

Hi,

i am running a linux box next to a novell server with a couple of pc's.
when i telnet from a PC to the linux there are no problems.  i get my
login prompt, etc. i can then work normally.
BUT when i say something like "less bigfile" my telnet session hangs.
the same also happens if i call up elm just when it is about to show
the list of my messages.  i suspect i am getting too much data at once
and the pc cannot handle it and thus dies.
is it possible to control the speed of such a transmission?
we also have a couple of real computers on the net, and they are ok talking
to the pc's and to my linux box.

hmmm,
Dimiter I. Kurtev

Problem with telnet

Post by Alan C » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 19:19:59

>What version of the kernel are you running.  I have had problems using
>some DOS software to get to a Linux box.  Could you give more details?

If it helps people this is my known list of problems with DOS stacks and
Linux versions

Software        Symptom                 Approx Releases         Info
WinTrumpet      Odd session lockups     <1.1.18              WinTrumpet Bug
Assorted        Short ftp files         <1.1.18 or so        Linux Bug (now fixed)
PC/TCP          Locks up                *****           (1)

(1)     Set the tcp window > than the mtu in pc/tcp (ie tcp window 8192)
        Also see the pc/tcp support option in the later kernels (at small
        performance cost).

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

1. Increase MAXPATH problem and telnet problem

we are using sco unix 3.2  on pentium
One of the user wrote a shell program which creates dir and sub directiores.
ie he wrote a shell program which creates a directory new and a 2nd
sudirectory new inside new . this goes on infinitely

When i went to single user mode and tried to delete it using rm -r new
it gives message rm: path too long (1023/1024)

Fsck on the filsystem fails in the second phase ie while checking Pathnames
giving a message Dir pathname too deep Increase MAXPATH & recompile
can anyone suggest how to delete the directories new.
I have already tried incresing the NINODE and NFILE parameter in kernel
parameter with no luck.

We also face a telnet problem ie suddenly users are no longer able to do
a telnet to the server but ping to the server works fine.
even telnet from the same server to itself fails.
ie suppose the server name is archie. then users suddenly arenot able to
do telnet to archie server . also telnet from archie to archie itself fails
ishort the telnet daemon dies. The problem gets rectified when i do a
tcp stop and tcp start.
Is there any permanent solution to the above problems

list

Thanks in advance.

Awaiting some reply at the earliest

Best Regards

siddarth

2. Dos emulator for X86 Wabi

3. tty / pts problem: login, telnet, etc hangs

4. How to display all files or some files in a directory?

5. status line problem with telnet

6. DCOPserver has stopped running for some users

7. Problems with TELNET

8. probs w/ USB 2.3.51 backport to 2.2.14 kernel

9. Problem w/Telnet from Win95 to Linux

10. Strange Problem with telnet

11. Does anyone else have problems with telnet?

12. problems with telnet and rlogin

13. problem with telnet on home network DSL - Help needed