Need Web browser for Linux

Post by Linas Vepst » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 03:15:32

Hi,

Can anyone point me at a web browser for linux?
I grabbed the mosaic source, but that needs motif :-(

--- linas
--
   ^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
     You are in a twisty little maze of standards, all conflicting.

Post by Rick Buhagi » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 08:47:39

>Hi,
>Can anyone point me at a web browser for linux?
>I grabbed the mosaic source, but that needs motif :-(

Get Netscape. I ftp'd it from sunsite.unc.edu. I had no problems running
it straight off the shelf.

Regards, Rick.

1. LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers

Hello,

some weeks ago there was a discussion about Embedded Linux Web Browsers.
I told you, that I would take LINKS
(http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/), but it had a
drawback, that Javascript could not be executed automatically.
There is a option in the latest release (2.1pre10) now, where they fixed
this (thanks to the programmers).

Now it is possible to use this browser as frontend:

As the meta-refresh tag is not recognized, a refresh must be done by adding
the following java script (I tested it with MS IE, Mozilla, Konqueror,
Links):

<head>
<script>
setTimeout("window.location.replace('URL')",2000)
</script>

URL is the new source, 2000 (ms) is for 2 seconds.

When the script is executed, the user is asked, if he wants to do so. This
can be changed in the settings.

A nice feature is, that one can adjust the number of retries. If the
automation server crashed and the program is restarted, LINKS therefore just
retries to get a web page without stopping the polls. You only have to
ensure, that every page contains the setTimeout().

The size of the browser seems to be 2 to 4 MBytes (depending on ./configure)
and up to 8 MBytes, if everything is linked statically.

Greetings
Ernst

2. Starting Installation of Red Hat Linux 6.0

3. X-Web: Linux and X apps in a web browser

4. striped device

5. Need web browser will run on AIX5.2

6. GNATS 3.2 segfaults -- need to upgrade my libc, libc++?

7. Need Error Messages from Web Servers or Browsers

8. RedHat and Nowell Netware

9. Web Browsers, Need Help

10. I can ping my web server but can't open page in web browser

11. How to measure response time between web browser and web server ?

12. X Web: Broadway Web Browser Plugin

13. Yggdrasil approved by The World Wide Web Consortium to develop Arena Web Browser