Need info on 56kbps lines, ISDN, fast communications in general

Need info on 56kbps lines, ISDN, fast communications in general

Post by Mark Lo » Sat, 21 May 1994 03:30:55

Quote:>Can linux handle it if I set several serial lines to 115200? (for 28.8)

If you have IDE drives, then you'll need the IDE Performance Package
to use *fast* baud rates (38400..).

A 16550AFN serial chip is also a good idea, especially for 115200.

Quote:>One last thing, does anyone know of an easy way to find out who in your
>area provides high speed internet access?  There isn't too much advertising
>going around.

Here in Ottawa, I just asked in the ott.general group, and got numerous replies.
Perhaps you could try the same in the local Montreal .general group.
--

Need info on 56kbps lines, ISDN, fast communications in general

Post by Daniel Gelin » Fri, 20 May 1994 13:09:10

Hello all,

I would like to know exactly what type of setup it takes to run these
different interfaces (and releative cost if possible).  I'm considering
starting up with a 28.8k modem and then moving on the either a leased line
or ISDN.  What I would like to know is, which is better and why?

Can linux handle it if I set several serial lines to 115200? (for 28.8)

One last thing, does anyone know of an easy way to find out who in your
area provides high speed internet access?  There isn't too much advertising
going around.

Daniel Gelinas

(Montreal, Canada)

Post by David H Denn » Tue, 31 May 1994 01:59:51

: I would like to know exactly what type of setup it takes to run these
: different interfaces (and releative cost if possible).  I'm considering
: starting up with a 28.8k modem and then moving on the either a leased line
: or ISDN.  What I would like to know is, which is better and why?

From what I gather, a direct Internet connection is done through an Ethernet
card and something called a Router ($2,000) and a CSU/DSU ($500).  This
is what's needed for 56k and almost certainly for ISDN too.

As a general rule, I believe your provider will basically dictate what
equipment you're going to get.  I know that most "professional" service
providers don't offer dial-up connections at all, so you have to go
with the leased line and the CSU/DSU.  I don't know about the ISDN
connection.  I have no proof for this, but my gut feeling from reading
a few books is that SLIP/PPP are not as efficient on their end as using
a router, and for this reason they require you to buy one.

The lowest quote on Internet services I've gotten so far is from a
company called i.net.  I don't know much about them, only that their

I believe they are based in the Pacific Northwest, so they might have
Canadian POPs.

Companies like Netcom offer both dial-up SLIP/PPP and direct connections,
but they are highly restricted (you can't offer shell accounts).  As a
result, I wouldn't recommend going that route.  Be sure you get a
*resellable* connection.  You'll probably have to go with a company that
doesn't sell dial-up access at all.

The O'Reilly book 'Connecting to the Internet' contains a list of providers
around the world.  They also have the FTP address to get an updated list.
Pick up the book for more details.

Good luck!  Let me know how things go.