dip with DYNAMIC slip server: How?

Post by J Eric Brack » Wed, 02 Feb 1994 13:48:39

I understand that dip.3.3.4 and above are supposed to be able to
automatically capture the IP address assigned to you by your
slip server and use this information to set up the sl0 interface
and the routing tables.

But how?  There documentation supplied doesn't say, and there are
no relevant examples.

I see a tantalizing way to "get" a parameter from source "remote",
e.g.

        get $local remote

But dip just sits there after I do this...

Please help...

Thanks,

--Eric

dip with DYNAMIC slip server: How?

Post by Dennis Flaher » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 09:31:26

Quote:

> I understand that dip.3.3.4 and above are supposed to be able to
> automatically capture the IP address assigned to you by your
> slip server and use this information to set up the sl0 interface
> and the routing tables.

> But how?  There documentation supplied doesn't say, and there are
> no relevant examples.

> I see a tantalizing way to "get" a parameter from source "remote",
> e.g.

>    get $local remote

> But dip just sits there after I do this...

It's waiting for the remote host to send your ip address.  Usually your
"get $local remote" is right after you send the host the command that
enters SLIP mode.  My dip script ends in

send slip\r
get $locip remote
mode SLIP

Now, if only there were a way to make dip to put that ip address in
a file...

--

     Oatmeal Stout: It's the Right Thing to Drink!

dip with DYNAMIC slip server: How?

Post by Alex Fre » Mon, 07 Feb 1994 15:30:00

Sorry, wrong answer. I was wondering myself how to use the script with the
dynamic address allocation and asked this question to the author. I wasn't
the first one to ask and got a "stock reply". Here is a quote:

the critical command line is the

get $local remote 10

<get> the command
<$local> the "variable" (I think that $local $remote $mtu (and maybe
    some others.. I would have to look at the src again..) can be set
    via this method.. I wanted to change the system to a more "variable"
    like system.. insted of a whole bunch of commands...
<remote>|<ask><"or a string"> if remote then it gets it from the serial
    line... (it is a mildly intellegent parser if the variable is for a
    IP# then it looks for 4 #'s seperated by "."
    if $mtu (or any other "number only") then it just gets the first X
    digits in a row.. if a "string" variable then it gets the next word
    until a " "

So you see, it's smart enough to recognize the ip address when it sees one.
Good job, Paul Mossip!

Here is his sample script:

  # Fetch the IP address of our target host.
main:

  # Set the desired serial port and speed.
  port modem
  speed 38400

  # Reset the modem and terminal line.
  reset

  # Prepare for dialing.
  send ATZ1\r
  wait OK 4
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  dial 932-0801
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  wait CONNECT 60
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  # We are connected.  Login to the system.
login:
  sleep 3
  send \r\n\r\n
  wait waller> 20
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  send login\n
  wait name: 10
  if $errlvl != 0 goto erro

  wait ord: 10
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  send password\n
  wait waller> 10
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  send slip\n
  wait ress: 10
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  send default\n
  wait SLIP 30
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  get $local remote 10
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
  get $remote waller
done:
  print CONNECTED to $remote with address $rmtip we are $local
  default
  mode SLIP
  goto exit
error:
  print SLIP to $host failed.
exit:

| -Alex Freed (The opinions expressed are my own.       |
|               However everyone is entitled to them.)  |

dip with DYNAMIC slip server: How?

Post by Jong-Min Pa » Mon, 07 Feb 1994 02:06:12

Quote:

>I understand that dip.3.3.4 and above are supposed to be able to
>automatically capture the IP address assigned to you by your
>slip server and use this information to set up the sl0 interface
>and the routing tables.

>But how?  There documentation supplied doesn't say, and there are
>no relevant examples.

>I see a tantalizing way to "get" a parameter from source "remote",
>e.g.

>    get $local remote

>But dip just sits there after I do this...

I bet your slip server doesn't print the ip number right after
'slip' command, for example:

        SLIP-server> slip [ENTER]
        Your ip number is ....

Then you should wait for the string 'is' before 'get $local remote'
from the script:

        send slip\n
        wait is 20
        get $local remote

Hope this helps.

1. DIP with dynamic slip server

Hi! Does anyone know how to make a connection with a dynamic slip server
by using DIP?

Pui Yin James SUN

Computer Science Student, the University of British Columbia

2. Redhat install woes

3. DIP Script with Dynamic SLIP Server

4. Alternate installation problems

5. Wanted:Dynamic SLIP server connection example for dip

6. anyone running Linux on Toshiba Satellite Pro 46x CDX?

7. help dip SLIP wil dynamic IP server

8. Matrox Mystic problem with X

9. dip with DYNAMIC slip server: How? - comp.os.linux.help #19559

10. SLIP and DIP only reaches slip server, help!

11. How to setup SLIP using dip for dynamic IP

12. Dynamic Slip address with DIP

13. Need help with DIP in dynamic slip env.