Slackware 1.2.0 - Telnet & ftp problems

Post by David R. Sh » Fri, 01 Apr 1994 00:16:54

I've just installed the Slackware 1.2.0 software - dated 22 March 94.
(from ftp.cdrom.com)

This was installed in a 486 machine with 8 meg ram.  I partitioned my
420 meg hard drive 80Mb-DOS/rest-linux used the floppy install for the
A series and N series, then got nfs working and downloaded the rest.

I configured the network via setup and can telnet to machines on our
net FINE, BUT I cannot telnet or ftp to my linux machine from any other
unix box...I CAN however, telnet AND ftp from another linux box to my
linux box.  I've tried decreasing the MTU setting from 1500 to 1024 to
no avail.  I'm lost and ready to give up!!

When I telnet from another unix box I get the following information..

ultrix.box> telnet xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
Trying xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq...
Connected to xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

When I ftp to the system...

ultrix.box> ftp xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
Connected to xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

When I ping to the system...

ultrix.box> pint xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq is alive

Any ideas?
--

Slackware 1.2.0 - Telnet & ftp problems

Post by liuy » Sat, 02 Apr 1994 01:36:31

Quote:>I've just installed the Slackware 1.2.0 software - dated 22 March 94.
>(from ftp.cdrom.com)
>This was installed in a 486 machine with 8 meg ram.  I partitioned my
>420 meg hard drive 80Mb-DOS/rest-linux used the floppy install for the
>A series and N series, then got nfs working and downloaded the rest.

  I installed it similar to your way.  I'm having exactly the same
problem.  I just replied to a similar post in development group.
I tried both NE2000 card and SMC ultra.  No luck.

Quote:>I configured the network via setup and can telnet to machines on our
>net FINE, BUT I cannot telnet or ftp to my linux machine from any other
>unix box...I CAN however, telnet AND ftp from another linux box to my
>linux box.  I've tried decreasing the MTU setting from 1500 to 1024 to
>no avail.  I'm lost and ready to give up!!
>When I telnet from another unix box I get the following information..
>ultrix.box> telnet xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
>Trying xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq...
>Connected to xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.

  Yes, the same problem.  But if you wait long enough, the login prompt
might show up later, sometimes 2 to 5 min later.  I have waited. 8-).

Quote:>When I ftp to the system...
>ultrix.box> ftp xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
>Connected to xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq.
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

  Yes.

Quote:>When I ping to the system...
>ultrix.box> pint xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq
>xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq is alive

  Yes, it seems ping part of the network is working fine.

Quote:>Any ideas?

  Not yet. 8-(  But I suspect that there are bugs in TCP/IP, inet, or the
driver part.

Post by Donald J. Beck » Tue, 05 Apr 1994 14:37:05

>  Yes, the same problem.  But if you wait long enough, the login prompt
>might show up later, sometimes 2 to 5 min later.  I have waited. 8-).

This is a classic nameserver problem.  The target system is trying to
resolve your hostname.

Quote:>  Yes, it seems ping part of the network is working fine.

>  Not yet. 8-(  But I suspect that there are bugs in TCP/IP, inet, or the
>driver part.

And I suspect bugs in the user's configuration.

(Come on, the Linux developers use the networking daily.  A fundamentally
broken kernel just wouldn't happen.)

--

IDA Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Drive, Bowie MD 20715                        301-805-7482

Post by liuy » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 08:20:23

>>  Yes, the same problem.  But if you wait long enough, the login prompt
>>might show up later, sometimes 2 to 5 min later.  I have waited. 8-).
>This is a classic nameserver problem.  The target system is trying to
>resolve your hostname.

  As mentioned in a similar post under development group, I wish it were
a nameserver problem.  I think mine is set up correctly last time I
checked.

Quote:>>  Yes, it seems ping part of the network is working fine.

>>  Not yet. 8-(  But I suspect that there are bugs in TCP/IP, inet, or the
>>driver part.
>And I suspect bugs in the user's configuration.

Or it could be the routing problem...

Quote:>(Come on, the Linux developers use the networking daily.  A fundamentally
>broken kernel just wouldn't happen.)

Think twice or maybe three times 8-) before saying something like this.
Never say never...

Post by David R. Sh » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 10:02:52

>>  Yes, the same problem.  But if you wait long enough, the login prompt
>>might show up later, sometimes 2 to 5 min later.  I have waited. 8-).

>This is a classic nameserver problem.  The target system is trying to
>resolve your hostname.

>>  Yes, it seems ping part of the network is working fine.

>>  Not yet. 8-(  But I suspect that there are bugs in TCP/IP, inet, or the
>>driver part.

>And I suspect bugs in the user's configuration.

Mr. Becker, you were right!!! There was NOTHING WRONG with the Slackware
distribution!  It seems our nameserver had a few problems.  I was able to
work around the nameserver problems and now everything works GREAT!

Linux is GREAT!
--

Post by Dave Gregori » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 10:55:11

|> >  Yes, the same problem.  But if you wait long enough, the login prompt
|> >might show up later, sometimes 2 to 5 min later.  I have waited. 8-).
|>
|> This is a classic nameserver problem.  The target system is trying to
|> resolve your hostname.

This is what I thought also, but it's not true - the very first thing I
did was to go to a straight host table lookup.  The system seems to work
better on the local ethernet loop, but fails fairly consistently
when the packets come from far away.  I have seen a packet come in
(using tcpdump on another machine) but the linux machine never responds.
This happens mostly on startup of rlogin or telnet.  Telnet will typically
spit out "login:" and "connection timed out" at the same time after a long
delay.  It also happens on two different machines (with quite different
configurations) at different sites.

|> >  Yes, it seems ping part of the network is working fine.
|> >
|> >  Not yet. 8-(  But I suspect that there are bugs in TCP/IP, inet, or the
|> >driver part.
|>
|> And I suspect bugs in the user's configuration.

I think that enough people have complained about this problem so that
user configuration problems are an unlikely cause.

|> (Come on, the Linux developers use the networking daily.  A fundamentally
|> broken kernel just wouldn't happen.)

You forgot the smiley after this statement. ;-)  I think that there IS
in fact a kernel bug - one can tell by the density of patches to the net
stuff that it's not quite stable yet - now whether it's a "fundamental"
bug or not....

-Dave

--

California State Univ., L.A.               Voice:   (213)343-2140
Los Angeles, CA 90032                      Fax:     (213)343-2497

Post by Donald J. Beck » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 14:00:43

>>>  Not yet. 8-(  But I suspect that there are bugs in TCP/IP, inet, or the
>>>driver part.

>>And I suspect bugs in the user's configuration.

>Mr. Becker, you were right!!! There was NOTHING WRONG with the Slackware
>distribution!  It seems our nameserver had a few problems.  I was able to
>work around the nameserver problems and now everything works GREAT!

Hey!  You just broke one of the implicit Usenet rules:
 #29. If you are proven wrong, never post a follow-up confirming it.
      Leave people believing that the software is seriously broken.

That's better than breaking the corollary:

 #29a. If someone suggests a fix in an email response, and suggests that you
        post a follow-up article if it works, don't do it.

More than a few people out there are guilty of this one!

[[ Ooops.  I just broke a *real* Usenet rule -- Absolutely *no*
tongue-in-cheek articles. ]]

--

USRA-CESDIS,  Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771

Post by liuy » Mon, 11 Apr 1994 14:55:20

>>>And I suspect bugs in the user's configuration.

>>Mr. Becker, you were right!!! There was NOTHING WRONG with the Slackware
>>distribution!  It seems our nameserver had a few problems.  I was able to
>>work around the nameserver problems and now everything works GREAT!
>Hey!  You just broke one of the implicit Usenet rules:
> #29. If you are proven wrong, never post a follow-up confirming it.
>      Leave people believing that the software is seriously broken.

Proven wrong?  Do you know what he did?  He just renamed the resolv.conf
to some other name and effectly disabled the nameserver.  This
temporarily fixes the delay problem.  But I wouldn't call this a real fix
since you can't use the nameserver unless you want to remember all the ip
addresses.
We have three nameservers and never had problems with other boxes,
Aix, Ultrix and so on except this Linux.  With correct setup on Linux, I
still get the delays.  For now I put most machines I log in from in
/etc/hosts and changed the order to host bind so I can log in a bit faster.

Rule #14:
  Never post before you really prove someone wrong. 8-).

Quote:>[[ Ooops.  I just broke a *real* Usenet rule -- Absolutely *no*
>tongue-in-cheek articles. ]]

Agree.

1. Problems with ftp & telnet, other problems

  I've installed the Mandrake 6.0 release, which is based on Red Hat
6.0, onto a ThinkPad laptop.  I want to reach it via telnet and ftp
from other machines.

(A.) FTP problems

  I can do both 'ftp localhost' and 'telnet localhost' successfully on
this machine.

  When I try to ftp to it from another Solaris machine, there are two
users I can try:

1. "emp" -- lets me log in, but when I do an "ls" or "mput", the ftp
client hangs.

2. "omni" -- after I enter the password, it hangs.

  I installed wu.ftp in the inet.conf file.

(B.) telnet problems

  When I try to connect from another machine, it finds the machine's
correct IP address, but hangs after spewing "Escape character is
'^]'.".  What do I need to do?

(C.) web-browsing problems

  The Netscape Communicator 4.? browser can see local machines, and it
can see our trusty old faraway machine, www.adobe.com, but it can't
see www.omnimark.com, which does lie outside a firewall.  I have to
specify its IP # to reach it.

Any pointers on what I should do?

2. help required with strange plip problem..

3. Slackware 1.2.0 - Telnet and ftp problem

4. Capture Job ID

5. ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup

6. Konqueror crash

7. Problems with sendmail...

8. NameServer & Telnet & FTP

9. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work

10. PPP problem using Netscape HTTP, ftp & telnet works !

11. Problem using Xbrowser HTTP, but network app. as telnet & ftp works!

12. ftp & telnet problem