term fails on ultrix

Post by Kent A Vander Veld » Tue, 03 May 1994 07:59:13

Quote:>I am trying to get a term connection from my linux pc to my school's
>dialup computers which are DEC Decstation 5000.25's running Ultrix
>4.2A.  Term114 compiles cleanly using gcc and "make DO=install mips",
>but when I type "term" to run it, it gives the following error
>message:
>Term version: 1.14
>Bind: Invalid argument

I assume that you have done something simular to the following:
mkdir /tmp/`whoami`
setenv TERMDIR /tmp/`whoami`

Quote:>and then exits.
>Is this a known problem with Ultrix, and if so, is there any way I can
>get around it?

Not a problem with Ultrix since I am using it at this moment and I am

with me that Ultrix is not the problem here.  Now if you have AFS.....
nevermind :)

--
Kent Vander Velden                          Project Vincent

                                            Student Development Group
                                            Engineering Animation, Inc.

term fails on ultrix

Post by Thomas Dubo » Fri, 06 May 1994 02:52:32

Quote:>I am trying to get a term connection from my linux pc to my school's
>dialup computers which are DEC Decstation 5000.25's running Ultrix
>4.2A.  Term114 compiles cleanly using gcc and "make DO=install mips",
>but when I type "term" to run it, it gives the following error
>message:
>Term version: 1.14
>Bind: Invalid argument
>and then exits.
>Is this a known problem with Ultrix, and if so, is there any way I can
>get around it?

I believe that term comes with a file README.mips.
It isn't Ultrix thats the problem, its the mips C compiler.
I compiled it using gcc and everything works ok

term version 1.14
DECstation 5000/25
Ultrix version 4.3

Quote:>Lyndon

Tom

term fails on ultrix

Post by Edward Va » Fri, 13 May 1994 23:07:55

Quote:>I am trying to get a term connection from my linux pc to my school's
>dialup computers which are DEC Decstation 5000.25's running Ultrix
>4.2A.  Term114 compiles cleanly using gcc and "make DO=install mips",
>but when I type "term" to run it, it gives the following error
>message:
>Term version: 1.14
>Bind: Invalid argument
>and then exits.

I had the same problem.  Make sure you don't have a file your home
directory called ".term".  TERM expects ".term" to be a directory where
it creates the socket file.

Quote:>Is this a known problem with Ultrix, and if so, is there any way I can
>get around it?

Hope this helps
--

Software Engineer, CAD/CAM Technology
de Havilland Inc.                               OFFICE:   (416) 375-3084

term fails on ultrix

Post by Nicholas J. Le » Tue, 17 May 1994 01:22:16

: >I am trying to get a term connection from my linux pc to my school's
: >dialup computers which are DEC Decstation 5000.25's running Ultrix
: >4.2A.  Term114 compiles cleanly using gcc and "make DO=install mips",
: >but when I type "term" to run it, it gives the following error
: >message:

I recently compiled Term 1.14 for the EXACT same machine as yourself, but I
didn't use the "make DO=install mips" command. I used another. Which
apparently worked! I've never had any sort of problem with it. Perhaps there
is another OS/CPU type that might fit the bill?

: >Term version: 1.14
: >Bind: Invalid argument
: >and then exits.

: I had the same problem.  Make sure you don't have a file your home
: directory called ".term".  TERM expects ".term" to be a directory where
: it creates the socket file.

: >Is this a known problem with Ultrix, and if so, is there any way I can
: >get around it?

Like I said.... I had no trauma. If you would like, I could send the
binaries to you.

--

WEB   | http://hamlet.uncg.edu/~leonni/
PHONE | 910/274/3041

term fails on ultrix

Post by Sheldon Smok » Wed, 18 May 1994 05:45:28

: >I am trying to get a term connection from my linux pc to my school's
: >dialup computers which are DEC Decstation 5000.25's running Ultrix
: >4.2A.  Term114 compiles cleanly using gcc and "make DO=install mips",
: >but when I type "term" to run it, it gives the following error
: >message:

: >Term version: 1.14
: >Bind: Invalid argument
: >and then exits.

This is not a problem with ultrix, its a problem with afs.  After I used
then ultrix patch to get term 1.15 to compile, I got the same error message
that you did.  The problem is that "bind" cannot create a socket in an afs
directory.  You need to change the path for "socket" to be on your local disk
(i.e. use /tmp/socket).  Once I changed the "path" in the files socket.c and
in main.c, then it worked ok.  (I didn't really test it, but it did not
die with the above error message).

hope this helps,
Sheldon.

--

Pitt CS          <a href="http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~smoke">home page</a>

1. Failed to connect to term socket '/home/sjw/.term/socket

Term problem: The subject says it... when I run

tupload /usr/bin/term /usr/temp

As the HOWTO suggests on both my single user Linux system as well as
the network Suns over the phone line at my internet site I get (again)

Term: Failed to connect to term socket '/home/sjw/.term/socket'

I used the standard install from AP sets for my linus system and
the term-2.2.4 package install (./configure --user; make install)
on the Sun end.

both ends have .term directories with

darkstar:~> ls -l .term
total 3
srwxr-xr-x   1 sjw      users           0 Jan 28 20:08 socket=
-rwxr-xr-x   1 sjw      users        2730 May 29  1993 termrc*

So I'd guess there's a socket there. What obviousness am I missing?

Thanks for any help
Steve

(P.S. Based on the new HOWTO, I also installed the /usr/src/term-2.2.4
as shared under root - trying to do the 'chgrp term <term_client>;
chmod g+s <term_client>' stuff guessing what <term-client> files were
intended - and run termtest. All I got was

bash# termtest &
[1] 898
bash# tupload .xinitrc /tmp
Term: Failed to connect to term socket '/usr/local/lib/term/tmp/private/socket'
bash#
)

2. Alternative to using talk and write ...

3. Term: Failed to connect to term socket... HELP!

4. Problems with networking in 2.4.4 using iptables.

5. Failed to connect to term socket '/home2/irvine/.term/socket'

6. Newbie (kinda) just wants to say...

7. HELP: sz/sb/sx, kermit downloads fail (term linecheck also fails)

8. Need Internet Sites?

9. Term and Ultrix

10. Term 2.0.6 woes on Ultrix

11. term between linux-pl13 and Ultrix 4.3

12. Having trouble compiling TERM on ultrix. help

13. Can't get Term to run on Decstation 5000 w/ AFS, Ultrix 4.2A