PING error question

Post by Adrian Boy » Fri, 04 Mar 1994 15:30:00

When I ping some sites (chiron.cs.uregina.ca shows this best for me), I'll
get "ping: recvfrom: Network is unreachable" at irregular intervals.  How
can a network be reachable for about 80% of the ping packets, but
unreachable for the other 20% of them?

I also get the same error message from named occasionally.

I'm using 0.99pl15f and 4.4.4 libs.

Any comments appreciated, here or in mail.

Adrian Boyko

PING error question

Post by Alan C » Sat, 05 Mar 1994 02:43:17

>When I ping some sites (chiron.cs.uregina.ca shows this best for me), I'll
>get "ping: recvfrom: Network is unreachable" at irregular intervals.  How
>can a network be reachable for about 80% of the ping packets, but
>unreachable for the other 20% of them?

Networks can drop momentarily - for example 56Kbit LAPB links dropping
sync for a while etc. Noting your in canada I guess you are running IP over
X.25 which often shows this property.. be glad you don't have an old style
BSD system that thinks Network unreachable is a fatal error....
Alan

1. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

In our small network, we have several w9x clients, a w2k server and a
linux server. To date, integration of these has been going ok. However,
today, we brought up some clients that cannot ping to the linux server
(all of this by IP address), but they can ping to the w2k server, which
are physically next to each other, and connect to the same switch. There
have been no problems with communication between the linux system, w2k
system and other computers on site. The clients use dhcp on the w2k
server to get their ip addresses. The only issues that I can think of at
this time is that the problem systems are on the longest runs from the
hub, which appear to be a little over the 100m line, and the linux and
w2k units (probably) have different nics. Can anybody out there shed
some light on this situation?

Thanks,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. x86 2.4 Preferred Tape Backup ?

3. Two Questions: dd error and Printer error questions, Solaris 8 on Ultra 10

4. Help:Cannot run compiled program on remote machine!

5. ping localhost fails; ping 127.0.0.1 works

6. Wow!! Wine acutually compiled

7. Can ping "localhost" but can't ping my own IP...why?

8. 'newbie' installation question

9. ping <ipv6-host> does not work, ping <ipv6-ip> does

10. ping localhost -> OK, ping myhost -> dies

11. Can't ping local host but can ping others

12. cannot ping internal network (ping operation not permitted)

13. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box