dip hardware flow control

Post by steven wiggi » Tue, 29 Nov 1994 05:26:15

My modem will not work with modem flow control turned on in the software.
Minicom works just fine when I turn off flow control in the minicom
config. Does any one know how to turn off hardware flow control in dip.
In dos my modem works ok for trumpetwinsock and chameleon if I turn off
hardware flow control. I am unable to connect to the internet using
linux.
                THANKS

dip hardware flow control

Post by Viktor T. To » Tue, 29 Nov 1994 00:58:05

>My modem will not work with modem flow control turned on in the software.
>Minicom works just fine when I turn off flow control in the minicom
>config. Does any one know how to turn off hardware flow control in dip.
>In dos my modem works ok for trumpetwinsock and chameleon if I turn off
>hardware flow control. I am unable to connect to the internet using
>linux.

Just curious, why does hardware flow control not work? Most modems these days
support hardware flow control (which is indeed essential if you use your modem
at a higher baud rate and use data compression). Is it an external modem with
a cheapo 3-wire serial cable? In that case, I would strongly suggest grabbing
a decent modem cable instead of trying to disable flow control.

BTW, I don't know how you could turn off hardware flow control in dip, but I
suspect you'd have to fiddle with the source to accomplish that.

Viktor

1. DIP and software flow control problem

Hello,

I am having problems dialing out from dip. I need to set up a SLIP
connection. This used to work for me before I installed a brand new
Slackware and a new modem.

I can dial out OK from minicom after setting software flow control
instead of hardware flow control. Why can I not use hardware flow
control? I have to set software flow control under windows too.

I cannot find any option for dip which will set software flow control,
so I guess that is the reason why I cannot get any response from my
modem in the 'term'-mode of dip.

Do I need to use setserial or some other program to set some
parameters of my serial port? I would like to use hardware flow
control, but if it is not possible, I need to set it to software flow
control somehow.

I have a MultiTech MultiModem ZDX 28.800 connected to a DELL Optiplex
466/MVX, and I am running Slackware 3.0 (I had the same problems with
Slackware 2.3.0 - I guess they both include dip-337j).

Thanks for any help.

-Robert
--

Telenor Research and Development       www:    http://www.nta.no/brukere/DVC/
P.O.Box 83                             tel.:   +47 63 84 84 00

2. PDF tools for Linux

3. !HELP! No flow control using DIP/PPP???

4. SP3G: Illegal instruction in 53c810 driver for Linux

5. Hardware Flow Control & Xenix

6. CORRECTION: Release of e2fsprogs 1.07

7. hardware control flow RTS/CTS with LINUX

8. System backup, repartition, & restore.

9. Taylor UUCP in RH5.0 "Cannot disable hardware flow control..."

10. Taylor UUCP in RH5.0:"Cannot disable hardware flow control.Input/Output error"

11. Serial ports: hardware flow control (Linux)

12. Hardware flow control half works!!

13. My STB 4-port isn't doing hardware flow control