ATI or Logitec bus mouse in XF86

Post by Wendy Michelle Co » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 10:53:25

I've run ConfigXF86, checked with the HOWTO's on the subject, and followed the
directions.  I can get a serial mouse to work, but neither Logitec nor ATI bus
mouse.  For Logitec my Xconfig says
        busmouse "/dev/ttyS1"
I've tried "/dev/bmouselogitec" and "/dev/bmouseatixl"
The result is:
        cannot open mouse (No such device)
        xinit: no such file or directory

Yes, the /dev/bmouse* files exist.  Yes, the mouse is installed.  No, selection
is not running.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

wendy
--

            home 404.873.4563   office 404.894.4474
    "Leaving in utter disgust is not the same thing as apathy," Slacker

ATI or Logitec bus mouse in XF86

Post by Peter Bur » Wed, 10 Aug 1994 22:54:18

Quote:>I've run ConfigXF86, checked with the HOWTO's on the subject, and followed the
>directions.  I can get a serial mouse to work, but neither Logitec nor ATI bus
>mouse.  For Logitec my Xconfig says
>       busmouse "/dev/ttyS1"
>I've tried "/dev/bmouselogitec" and "/dev/bmouseatixl"
>The result is:
>       cannot open mouse (No such device)
>       xinit: no such file or directory

>Yes, the /dev/bmouse* files exist.  Yes, the mouse is installed.  No, selection
>is not running.

Hi folks.
        Same problem here. I'm using Slackware to drive an ATI VGAWonder
XL24 card. Xconfig has been tweaked for the monitor. /dev/bmouseatixl and
/dev/atibm fail.  The mouse is on IRQ5 primary address (EEPROM'd), which as
I understand is the kernel default. I don't think my mouse gets installed
though.  I didn't set up selection or test-mouse during the system
installation, and so no test utility exists.  There is no mention of mouse
devices installed in the boot log.
        And xinit exists, but it's not on the PATH. I think I tried putting
it on the PATH, without success.
        Any clues? 'cuz I'm clueless at this point...

--
   _/_/_/_/             _/                     Peter Burke

 _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/    _/    _/_/_/  _/       Ottawa, Canada
_/         _/_/_/    _/    _/_/_/  _/       Not tonight dear, I have a modem.

Post by Mark Buckaw » Mon, 15 Aug 1994 05:32:43

Quote:>I've run ConfigXF86, checked with the HOWTO's on the subject, and
[stuff deleted]
>I've tried "/dev/bmouselogitec" and "/dev/bmouseatixl"
>The result is:
>    cannot open mouse (No such device)
>    xinit: no such file or

The error you are getting is an indication that the device is not available to the kernel. Either it has not been compiled in or the IRQ or port settings are wrong and the mouse driver did not find the mouse.

If the mouse is installed, you will get a message when the kernel is loading as such:

Logitech bus mouse detected and installed.

Now, the next question is what ATI card do you have? THis is important as the ATI mouse port is not the same on all cards. For example, if you have an ATI GRAPHICS ULTRA PRO, you'd configure the kernel for a Logitech bus mouse. If you have an ATI VGAWONDER XL24, you'd configure the kernel for either the ATIXL or Microsoft bus mice.

I will suggest the following:

1) Check /usr/include/linux/busmouse.h for the IRQ the mouse driver is set for. Either change it there and recompile the kernel or run the ATI INSTALL/VINSTALL program to set the mouse IRQ to match the kernel. Make sure you have the mouse port on the ATI card set to PRIMARY address.

2) Watch the kernel messages on boot to see if and what mouse driver is installed. If it scrolls by too fast, you can do a "cp /proc/kmsg ." and then hit CTRL-C after about 1 sec. You can then examine the kmsg file in the current directory to see what mouse driver was installed (if any). Take note, if no mouse driver was installed, there will be no indication of a mouse in the kernel messages or kmsg file.

3) If you can tell us what ATI card you have, we can suggest what driver to use (unless you end up figuring this out for yourself).

Hope this helps.
Mark

---

System Admin.          |  uunorth!datasoft!root    |  Willowdale, ON  |
DataSoft Communications|  (416) 756-4497           |  M2J 4N5 CANADA  |
  How many Microsoft programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
  None. They defined darkness a standard.  - UNIXWorld, Dec. 1993

1. Logitec Bus Mouse and /dev/bm

I'm currently running v.98 -- everytime I try to access /dev/bm (in the
case of Xwindows for instance) my system crashes.  Linux recognizes my
bus mouse during boot, and reports it as a logitec (which it is). I've checked
my IRqs, and they are all in correct order, with my bus mouse using
irq 5 and nothing else.  Running mouse gives me a kernel panic, and it is
unable to recover!

Whats going on?!
(SLS version)

2. PPC(PowerPC) Simulator for Linux

3. logitec bus mouse support

4. Top tip for improving the popularity of Linux

5. Logitec Bus Mouse

6. endeavor + sound: (not)ok?

7. MediaVision SCSI CD (Tandy3100) not recognized

8. Logitec Bus Mouse Busy

9. Solutions to install Logitec S9 Bus Mouse

10. Logitec bus Mouse Man Woes

11. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work