Yggdrasil CD-Rom serial port problems

Post by Nick Bail » Sun, 30 Oct 1994 02:35:56

 I've just managed to install the Fall '94 release of the Yggdrasil CD-ROM and am
experiencing problems with the serial ports.

The first problem I have is that I cannot get my dumb terminal to work....It used to
work fine with my (old) Slackware installation - and that was with just Gnd,Rx,and Tx
connected on the serial lead!      With the Yggdrasil distribution installed
I used to be able to 'cat' files, etc to the serial port and, sure enough, they
would appear on the terminal screen as expected...but if I ran getty, the process
would die complaining about a HUP signal (or something to that affect) and log out the
session that called getty......I assumed that this was something to do with the fact that my serial cable was a 'tad none standard so I made a new one.........now I can't even cat files to the terminal...nor will MS-Windows 'terminal' talk to it (an easy way of testing the terminal).....I'm certain the terminal and serial port are working as if I connect Tx and Rx on the serial lead characters typed appear on the terminal screen
---can anyone help, offer suggestions etc, etc??????

My second problem is related to the serial ports as it is to do with my mouse.
With the installation on my hard drive, the kernel(1.1.47) boots but I cannot get the
mouse to work with X, if I boot from the boot floppy that came with the CD-Rom, telling the kernel(1.1.49) to mount /dev/hdb1 as root....the mouse will work if I tell X it is a microsoft mouse (it's supposed to be a ps/2 one!)......the main distinguising factor
is that the kernel floppy loads the J-Mouse driver...so -
  1) How do I get the kernel on /dev/hdb1 to load the J-Mouse driver ?? (prefered solution as it is a quicker boot)
or,
  2) How do I get the kernel on the floppy copied to my hard drive as it is more up to date but still get it to recognise my soundcard (currently it appears to just load the PC-Speaker drivers) and install the mouse driver!

BTW I have tried using the serial ports from the boot floppy kernel -to no avail.

My third problem is related to the last two in that I can't even talk to my modem as
my serial ports aren't working....this is highly essential as my internet connection is currently lying dormant, and I'm paying for something I can't use!!! ....the install script is supposed to autodetect a modem, except it didn't (most curious considering my modem status LED's lit up when being probed)...are there any kernel options that are required at boot time that will enable me to use my modem????......I intend to go through the install script to see what that does....but if there's a quicker and more painless solution I'll take it! ;-)

Hope this enquiry wasn't too long and thanks in advance for any help given,

Cheers,

Nick.

1. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

Hi,

  I can't install my Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with the following SCSI
related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 240MB SCSI-2 hard disk
  3) 1 Sound Blaster 16 AIC-6360 sound card
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-1 CD-ROM (I say it is SCSI-1 because ezscsi.exe provided by
     Adaptec detects it as a SCSI-1 one without support for parity checking).

  I have tried to install Linux with the following two configurations :
  1) connect the CD-ROM to SB16 card and the hard disk to 1542C controller :
     I typed the command
     Linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
     to boot Linux but failed after a long period of detecting my CD-ROM
     and dumped a lot of messages about the queue status.
     I noticed that the parity checking is enabled.

  2) connect the CD-ROM and hard disk to 1542C with parity checking disabled
     while just connect the sound output from CD-ROM to SB16 card only :

     I used the default booting process and it failed a lot faster and told
     me that it can't mount the CD-ROM (kernel panic : unable to mount VFS).

  These two configurations work fine under both OS/2 2.1 and DOS/Windows.

  Now I need help to the following questions :
  1) How can I install Linux using this CD-ROM with such config ?
  2) Which other CD-ROM distribution can I use to install Linux ?

  One of the major reasons to buy CD-ROM is to run Linux. Failing to do so
frustrated me a lot. Please help me !

Thanks in advance,
   Eddie

2. Linux Software

3. Problems installing Yggdrasil Fall 93 CD-ROM ...

4. Named pipe faster that sockets if same computer ?

5. Yggdrasil Fall 94': CD-ROM problems!

6. Different locale settings for logon an 'su -'

7. Problems with Yggdrasil (fall '94) and Reno CD-ROM

8. Help! Problem with Ultra 60

9. Problem Installing Yggdrasil via CD-ROM

10. Matsushita CD-ROM Problems (Yggdrasil)

11. Help on installing Yggdrasil summer 94 CD from SB16 CD-ROM

12. Setup dosemu serial ports and CD-ROM

13. Won't detect and mount CD-ROM (Yggdrasil, cd-dependent)