install linux (debian)

Post by D. J. Gua » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:52:55

I tried to install Linux in my PC. I choose Debian compact, network install.
Everything seems OK, until it tries to get packages from a network site out
of my country, which is very slow. (I have setup a local site, and it
downloads most of the packages locally. However, it needs some packages
which the local site does not have.) And then it complaints that some files
cannot be downloaded. The system is OK to login, but it lacks most packages
I need. For example, mail, ftpd, etc. How can I fix the problem?

D J Guan

install linux (debian)

Post by Terry Port » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:36:10

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:52:55 +0800, D. J. Guan in article

Quote:>I tried to install Linux in my PC. I choose Debian compact, network install.
>Everything seems OK, until it tries to get packages from a network site out
>of my country, which is very slow. (I have setup a local site, and it
>downloads most of the packages locally. However, it needs some packages
>which the local site does not have.) And then it complaints that some files
>cannot be downloaded. The system is OK to login, but it lacks most packages
>I need. For example, mail, ftpd, etc. How can I fix the problem?

Purchase a CD ?

--
                         __
                       .'  `.

* OSS is long-term credible ... FUD tactics can not be used to combat it.
  Free Micro Burner http://w3w.arafuraconnect.com.au/~tp/burn.html
     ** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **

1. install linux Debian

After the setup, when i reboot my cpu during de driver settings when the
sistem arrive at the serial port configuration i have this message:

configuration serial ports...failed...
try to load the serial module manually...
serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16550A
success...rettrying configuration...

after this the cpu is blocked and i have to restart it shutting down.
I have a 200MMX intel pentium overclocked at 233Mhz. The serial ports in
bios setup are configured 3F8/IRQ4 e 2F8/IRQ3 i try to disable it but the
cpu blocked in the same manner. My motherboard is a Soyo BT5. Can you help
me or give me some address where i can get some information?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 8635085432

3. Re installing Debian on Debian

4. Red Hat ftp install

5. Debian GNU/Linux upgrade to Debian GNU/Hurd???

6. No Carriage returns

7. Help!-Debian 2.0 dselect always say need libc6 install- but shows already installed!

8. dualboot linux

9. Need to Install Debian over a RedHat install but...

10. Debian dselect always says libc6 needs install - but shows already installed!

11. newbie installing Debian: how can I tell what hard device I'm installing to?

12. can not install Linux: CD-ROM-Problem with Debian 2.0r3

13. I can't install Debian GNU/Linux by console error