Need LMS/Philips 206 CD-ROM driver

Post by Stan Topore » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 23:57:39

Hi

I just bought a LMS/Philips 206 (double-speed) CD-ROM drive and have been
trying to find linux kernel drivers for it in beta or lower versions.  I
have the lms205 patch but the faq says it doesn't work on the 206.  I
have linux running at 1.1.64 and have been attempting to attach the
cdu33a driver to the drive.  I was hoping that sony and philips still
used some the the same protcols.  No luck.

Thank you in advance

Stan

******* ********************************************************************
  Stan S. Toporek                            University of Florida

  Lab ph#                                    Organic Division
            "Trying to make a living through Chemistry"

Need LMS/Philips 206 CD-ROM driver

Post by Michael Thero » Sat, 07 Jan 1995 09:33:24

Unfortunantly no driver for the cm206 drive currently exists.  I have been
working on a driver with limited success.  Philips has been very stingy with
their information.  I think there are a couple of more groups out there
working on it as well (if any of you read this, email me, maybe we can swap
notes).  Sorry,

                        -Mike-

1. Looking for a Philips LMS 206 (not 205) CD-ROM driver

I've just picked up a Philips LMS 206 double speed driver (Fry's was
selling them for $89).  After an afternoon of fun setting jumpers,
seating boards and savoring the joys of DOS once again, I managed to
get DOS to recognize the CD-ROM as the D: drive.

On the linux side, I upgraded to the 1.0 kernel (where do you find out
which patch level?) and folded in the patches for the lmscd driver.
When I boot this hybridized kernel, it hangs when trying to recognize
the CD-ROM.  Turning on debugging showed that lms_interrupt() was
getting called repeatedly (> 1000 times/sec) with the cd state == 0.
The 1.0 kernel without the CD-ROM driver works just fine.

While I may have made a mistake in applying the patches by hand, I
doubt that this is the problem --- mis-applying the patches would more
likely have caused build problems due to undefined device numbers and
such.

Could anyone either point me at a 206 driver or enough technical info
on the differences between the 205 and 206 to figure out how to patch
things up?

Unfortunately, I don't have a 205 handy, so I can't tell you whether
my mutant kernel will, in fact, drive a 205.  I suspect it would,
since the 205 driver is compatible with both pre and post 1.0.  In
other words, the only problems should be in getting it to build in the
first place.  I would be glad to beta (or alpha) test someone else's
attempt --- the 205 driver is nice and clean, it just doesn't seem to
recognize the 206.

Other cards in the system: IDE controller/IO, extra serial port,
SoundBlaster Pro, SVGA, internal modem.  I haven't tried rebooting
linux with all these pulled out, but I did have all but the IDE and
SVGA out while mucking with DOS.  Didn't seem to make a difference.
Also, I doubt it's an IRQ or IO address conflict, since DOS works (if
you call that working) and the driver is able to get the IRQ when it
requests it from the kernel.

Thanks
--
                                | Easily amused

                                |               Perpetually confused

2. What happened to rc.sendmail in 8.12/4-5 STABLE upgrade?

3. Help: cd-rom with philips LMS-206

4. Samba for Ultrix

5. LMS Philips CD-ROM (CM-206)

6. SuSE (Alpha) to support AlphaStation 500?

7. Philips LMS CM-206 CD-Rom

8. AIX security references sites/material. . .

9. Philips LMS-206 CD-ROM Drive ?

10. Linux support for philips lms 206 CD ROM?

11. Driver for Philips LMS CM-206 CD?

12. Philips CM-206 CD-ROM device driver: where?

13. Philips CM 206 CD-ROM Driver