MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEMS

Post by Wayne Tayl » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 04:45:56

I have major problems - CAN YOU HELP - I tried to install LINUX on my pc from a
cover magazine.  It was supposed to write a root and boot disk but instead it wrote
to my C: drive-hard disk.  I have lost 1GB of Data and cannot no longer boot from
my hard disk.

I followed all the instructions and was also told that it would quite happily exist with
MSDOS.  What I actuallly typed was "/ROOTDSK1/UMSDS144" and
"/BOOTDSK1/SCSI"

I have a 486DX33, with  an NCR PCI, SCSI 2 with the IDE and  FD controller all built
into the motherboard.  I have a 1.2GB SCSI MAXTOR Hard disk controlled by the
Inbuilt controller.

I am a student, I am in desperate need to get back in control of my PC.

I cannot no longer boot from my Hard Disk I can only use a floppy disk to boot from.
Any attempt to boot from my hard disk result in a vigourous read from the floppy
disk drive and at the same time it displays "L80808080808080808080808...."
continuosly.

I have used FDISK to repartition the disk and FORMAT /S to format the disk
afterwards.  It still doesn't remedy it.

CAN YOU HELP ME - URGENTLY

Have I wrecked my system!!

How do I get back control.

Thanks for Helping

could you reply ASAP please all you LINUX GURU's

incidently I have NO KNOWLEDGE of LINUX.  Yes! I know I shouldn't have.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS ....

Wayne Taylor

MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEMS

Post by Loz » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 10:22:09

::I cannot no longer boot from my Hard Disk I can only use a floppy disk
to boot from.
::Any attempt to boot from my hard disk result in a vigourous read from
the floppy
::disk drive and at the same time it displays
"L80808080808080808080808...."
::continuosly.

Try FDISK /MBR from DOS...

1. NEED MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST!

Well Hello there!!!!!

And thank you for your time!!!!

And lets get onto it w/o delay....

Here's the situation....

I run a very special BBS system for youth....

I was/am using one system to run the 17 line puppy...

One system s a file server/backup & development system....

The BBS server itself uses slackwre 3.0 kernel 1.2.13

The development machine had 1.2.11 and gcc 2.63 (the BBS has 2.7.0) on it...

I recently updated the development system to 2.7.0... Cool yes?

Well..... All of sudden SIGHUP (hangups) signals are NOT being caught.

If  person logs out of the BBS in regular fashion, no sweat...
But if they just hang up, dead modem, sit their forever....
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm HELP!!!!!!!
:)

As soon as possible would be a great thang!

Thanks!

2. Changing current directory from script

3. Need MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST

4. "pon" fails and gives "ttyS overrun" in syslog

5. block-major...char-major...probs

6. NCSA httpd 1.4.2 scrambling long(ish) docs

7. FreeBSD Install *Major* Problem

8. Conner 4GB TapeStor SCSI TBU ?

9. HELP! Major partition table problem

10. Major Problems With SuSE 6.2: Need help

11. printer problem:unable to get major 6

12. Major problems installing LinuxPPC on a 7600/200 PPC, HELP!!!

13. Slackware 3.4 MAJOR install problems. Please Help!