Diamond Stealth 24VLB & Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94: help me run X!

Diamond Stealth 24VLB & Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94: help me run X!

Post by Jared Brenn » Sat, 08 Oct 1994 06:42:30

I have a machine with a Diamond Stealth 24VLB and I have the
Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94 CD-ROM.  I would really like to
be able to run an X server on this machine without dragging out
my old ATI VGA Wonder and slapping it in there.

Some of the postings in this newsgroup give me the impression
that there is some hope for me.  Does anybody out there have
this sort of configuration running X?

If it is possible to use some sort of standard VGA or super VGA
driver, let me know, because my eyes would explode if I tried
to do 1280X960 on my monitor anyway ...

The manual (such as it is) that comes with Plug & Play Linux
gives me the immpression that if you have any Diamond card,
there is no hope at all for you ... As in, no video modes
supported at all ... This would be mighty stupid of somebody,
so I am not inclined to believe it.

Jared
--

Post by Bill Sirin » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 13:38:41

>I have a machine with a Diamond Stealth 24VLB and I have the
>Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94 CD-ROM.  I would really like to
>be able to run an X server on this machine without dragging out
>my old ATI VGA Wonder and slapping it in there.

I have my Stealth 24 VLB (w/ cheapo SVGA monitor) working fine!

It works at 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768i

I use the XF86_S3 driver. Nice!

Email me if you want my Xconfig

  The student who changes the course of history is probably taking an exam.

1. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

I'm not able to boot and install the Fall 1994 Yggdrasil Linux CD-ROM
on my system. When I boot from the supplied floppy, LILO seems to load
the kernel OK, recognize my hardware devices properly during probing
and calculate my BogoMIPS for me, but the kernel crashes after trying
to mount filesystems. I've checked cabling, I/O address and IRQ
conflicts, tried removing unnecessary boards, made sure all of the
devices were configured as the manual suggested, etc., but nothing
helped. I'm pretty sure that everything I have is supposed to be
supported by the Yggdrasil kernel. Everything works OK under DOS, for
whatever that's worth.

From the error messages, it looks to me like the kernel isn't happy
about the block size on some device (the CD-ROM?), so it can't mount
the filesystem on the CD-ROM.

I booted Slackware Linux from a boot disk and root disk I borrowed
from a friend, and successfully partitioned my hard disk. His kernel
didn't have support for my CD-ROM compiled in, though, so I couldn't
get any further.

I've installed/maintained/used SunOS systems for years, but I'm new to
Linux, and I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated!

-------------

Here are the gory details:

My system configuration is:
        Intel Premiere II 90 MHz Pentium PCI motherboard with
                PCI EIDE, second IDE, 2 serial ports, par port and
                floppy i/f on board
        ATI mach32 video
        Sound Blaster 16 with CD-ROM interface and Sony CDU-33A drive
        3Com 3C509 ethernet board
        1G EIDE hard disk
        16M RAM

I typed "linux hd=2100,16,63" at the "boot:" prompt.

The part of the boot-time messages that seemed relevant to me said:

[stuff before here deleted]

Partition check:
  hda: WDC AC31000H, 1033MB w/128KB Cache, CHS=2100/16/63, MaxMult=16
  hda: hda1
RAMDISK: 104960 bytes, starting at 0x248b48
VFS: Disk change detected on device 15/0
ll_rw_block: only 2048-char blocks implemented (1024)
MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
c0000000
current->tss.cr3 - 0001d000, %cr3 = 0001d000
*pde = 00102027
*pte = 00000027
Oops: 0000
[stack and register frame info deleted]

Thanks in advance for any advice....

--
Mark J. Blair   KE6MYK
Design Engineer

2. close multi-session CD with cdrecord...

3. Plug & Play Fall '94 gives MSCDEX-error

4. Enlightenment installation

5. Need Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Fall '94 errata sheet

6. DHCP and dynamic IP

7. yggdrasil plug&play && NEC 3xi && ultrastor

8. Bootpart and the lilo "L"

9. FAQ: Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug-N-Play Linux

10. Yggdrasil Summer 94 Plug & Play Kernel Compile?

11. Fall '94 Plug and Play doesn't have X11R6???

12. RUNLINUX.BAT reboots computer (Fall '94 Plug 'N Play)

13. Yggdrasil Fall '94 & SoundBlaster CDROM ?