"IO fatal error 32 (broken pipe)" after "kill fvwm"

"IO fatal error 32 (broken pipe)" after "kill fvwm"

Post by cheng p » Fri, 28 Jan 1994 10:59:49

Any help on the following problem is greatly appreciated.

I installed Slackware v1.1.1 on a 486DX PC with an NCR77C22E graphic
board.  In Xconfig, the dotclock rates are taken from specifications
came with the graphic board.  The monitor is a CTX5468NI and the
parameters for modes in Xconfig are taken from modeDB.txt.  The
system worked fine after 'startx' until I used [ctrl-alt-backspace].
After I did this the screen showed an unrecognizable mess.  I could
still enter commands from the keyboard, but it was impossible to
figure out what had been typed from the screen.  After I typed 'startx'
again, the system then worked fine until I tried again to leave
the X window.  I tried to use 'kill fvwm' to leave, but I also ended
up facing an unrecognizable screen.

After rebooting the system, I used 'script' to creat a file before
typing 'startx.'  Then I used [ctrl-alt-backspace] and [ctrl-D]
and rebooted the system.  The error message I found in the file
is something like "IO fatal error 32  (broken pipe)."  I would like
to learn to fix this problem.

I also installed Slackware v1.1.1 using the same set of floppy disks
on another 486DX PC with an AVIEW2E graphic board and a MAG15 monitor.
In that case I did not have any problem to leave the X window.

Thank you for reading this message.

Cheng Pan

1. xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

I have download and followed all the instructions for installing
WindowMaker-0.14.1 on my system. All of the commands run flawlessly
through the final step of running wmaker.inst. Then when I startx my
system starts to load X then I get a grey background wiht a black X
mouse pointer and then I get thrown back to a command line. In my
.FVWM2-error file I get the following error:

xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

Does anyone know what causes this? Does anyone know how I can fix it so
I can use WindowMaker.

Steve

2. setting shared memory parameters

4. TCP/IP gurus, please help! Can this be a valid gateway address?

6. Install problems with 2Mb RAM

7. xterm: fatal IO error 2( Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"

8. cc compiler

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. FW: "PIPE BROKEN" & "RESOURCE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE"

11. Apache Problem "Connection reset by peer" "Broken pipe" etc

12. Trapping (catching) "kill" and "kill -HUP"

13. "XIO: Fatal IO error 2" error when starting X