linux on 386/40

linux on 386/40

Post by Howie Grap » Fri, 20 May 1994 14:42:36



Hi,

Does anyone have LINUX up on a 386/40?
Specifically an old HP Vectra?

I was just curious about the performance of linux on this kind of machine...
a 40 mhz 386.

I'd love to hear some comments/experiences first hand...
I'm also interested in different hdw configurations and how they perform.

just drop me a note.

I'll create a summary and repost it.

Thanks, Howie.
--
Howie Grapek, Contractor          __o          Hewlett Packard
Voice: (303) 229-2318           _ \<,_         3404 E. Harmony Road
FAX:   (303) 229-4977          (_)/ (_)        Fort Collins, Co  80525

 
 
 

linux on 386/40

Post by Andy Pe » Fri, 20 May 1994 23:04:10



> Hi,
> Does anyone have LINUX up on a 386/40?
> Specifically an old HP Vectra?
> I was just curious about the performance of linux on this kind of machine...
> a 40 mhz 386.

  I have a dedicated Linux box that uses a 386/DX40 CPU, it is faster
  than my HP 710 Workstation at the Salt Mine :-))).

Quote:> I'd love to hear some comments/experiences first hand...
> I'm also interested in different hdw configurations and how they perform.

   8Meg Ram, EGA :-(((.  This box is used for an Amateur Packet Radio Station.
   It uses Alan Cox's AX25 Kernel m

> just drop me a note.
> I'll create a summary and repost it.
> Thanks, Howie.
> --
> Howie Grapek, Contractor          __o          Hewlett Packard
> Voice: (303) 229-2318           _ \<,_         3404 E. Harmony Road
> FAX:   (303) 229-4977          (_)/ (_)        Fort Collins, Co  80525


    Andy Pevy   G4XYW

 
 
 

linux on 386/40

Post by Mark van Hoe » Sat, 21 May 1994 20:10:08



Quote:>Hi,
>Does anyone have LINUX up on a 386/40?
>Specifically an old HP Vectra?
>I was just curious about the performance of linux on this kind of machine...
>a 40 mhz 386.

If you want to run X then memory and graphics card are more important
than CPU speed. I have a 386-40 with 8Mb and and S3 card. X runs as
smoothly as on the SUN4 machines we have here. Even when I switch the
turbo button to 16Mhz the speed is still acceptable. A friend who had
a cheap SVGA card (I forgot which one) complained that X was extremely
slow.

Regards,
 Mark van Hoeij

 
 
 

1. Lilo "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

Greetings,

I have set up a Linux From Scratch system on a 1.2Gb Maxtor hard drive. It
works fine on my two Athlon systems, but when I put the drive in my Pentium
100, the system results in "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..." before showing the Lilo
menu.

My Lilo.conf contains the "lba32" entry which should mean this would work,
but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jon

2. locale support for ISO-8859-1

3. LILO saying "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

4. ksh and SunOS 4.1.3

5. 4-Port BBS on 386-40 mith 8MB and LINUX possible????

6. NT, LILO and other animals

7. Linux does not reboot on 386/40

8. PPP connection

9. Linux on a 386/16 with 2 meg ram and 40 meg HD...

10. Will Linux 'see' >540Mb on my old 386/40?

11. 386-40 board for Linux

12. Wait States? 386-40

13. rpcbind on SNI SystemV/386 R5.40