NEC 2X IDE CD-ROM installation problems

Post by Scot Hildebrand » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 05:05:23

I just got a copy of the Walnut Creek Linux Toolbox which was
current as of August '94.  I'm having trouble getting the install
program to recognize my NEC 2x IDE drive to be able to install from
the Slackware release on the CD.  I did download new boot and root
disks which contained support for the NEC 260 interface from
ftp.cdrom.com but wasn't able to get it to use it.  When booting
it seemed to be working (it stated NEC reconized as #26 or something
to that effect) but the setup program on the root disk couldn't
access the drive...  I could just drop the whole thing onto my DOS
partion and install from there but am hoping to save myself some
aggravation. If anyone can give any advice it would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks in advance,
-scot

NEC 2X IDE CD-ROM installation problems

Post by I am Ma » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 07:00:00

I have had the EXACT same problem as you...I have a Gateway with an NEC
260 IDE CD Rom....have you any ideas??? I will gladly share with you all
info on it!!!

THANKS!!!

Post by Your Real Nam » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:25:28

> I have had the EXACT same problem as you...I have a Gateway with an NEC
> 260 IDE CD Rom....have you any ideas??? I will gladly share with you all
> info on it!!!

> THANKS!!!

Me too.  Recognizes #31, then Kernel panic:VMS:unable
to mount root.  What does this mean and how do I fix it?
I am far from facile with this stuff.

Oh, one note...  my drive is a 4x...