Telnet problem with Red Hat 6.2

Post by Scott C. De Luci » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:44:00

I have 2 identical Red Hat 6.2 boxes.  One was cloned from the other.
Recently the telnet deamon has been acting funny on one of the boxes.
Occasionally, after booting, when a user telnets to the box, the user
connects and gets the initial text sent before the login prompt but, the
login prompt never appears and the connection to the box remains until the
user terminates the session from their telnet client.  The problem clears
itself after a reboot while logged on at the console.  The problem is
becomming a real issue because the box resides in an unmanned remote data
center.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Scott

--
Scott C. DeLucia
Remove the nospam to reply.

Telnet problem with Red Hat 6.2

Post by Rob Kro » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:35:51

Quote:>I have 2 identical Red Hat 6.2 boxes.  One was cloned from the other.
>Recently the telnet deamon has been acting funny on one of the boxes.
>Occasionally, after booting, when a user telnets to the box, the user
>connects and gets the initial text sent before the login prompt but, the
>login prompt never appears and the connection to the box remains until the
>user terminates the session from their telnet client.  The problem clears
>itself after a reboot while logged on at the console.  The problem is
>becomming a real issue because the box resides in an unmanned remote data
>center.

I'm not sure what's causing it, as I probably don't know enough about
TCP/IP networking/Linux to figure it out.

What I do know, though, is that I occasionally have the same problem (or at
least a similar one) on my own network, telnetting into my RH 6.0 DNS/DHCP
server. I'm reasonably sure it has something to do with routing on my
network, as there's a 3rd cog in the works: my gateway to the internet, to
which all client systems are set to send all traffic through.

What I also know, though, is that I haven't had to reboot my DNS server in
a while, because the prompt appears after a moment. (Sometimes as much as 1
minute, but...) I can usually expedite the appearance of the prompt by
pinging the DNS server.

Telnet problem with Red Hat 6.2

Post by Scott C. De Luci » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:43:05

I have the problem even if I telnet to the box from another host on the
local network.  I have left the telnet session active for up to a half an
hour and it was still hung.