Auto-detection of disk change in CDROM drive

Auto-detection of disk change in CDROM drive

Post by Tonya R. Wilban » Sat, 02 Oct 1993 00:19:22

I'm looking for an easy way to have the system auto-detect a disk
change within a CDROM drive that is mounted.

Apparently, if the drive is mounted and you change out disks, the
drive must be unmounted and then remounted for it to acknowledge the
switch.

My goal is to have a networked CDROM drive that anyone can mount and use
without having to interact with the Linux server that drives the CDROM.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance  |-)

Auto-detection of disk change in CDROM drive

Post by Eberhard Moenkebe » Mon, 04 Oct 1993 04:16:02

Hello Tonya and all others,

on 30.09.93 Tonya R. Wilbanks wrote to All in USENET.COMP.OS.LINUX.HELP:

TR> I'm looking for an easy way to have the system auto-detect a disk
TR> change within a CDROM drive that is mounted.

With sbpcd.c, my experience is that the higher-level filesystem code does not
"poll" the (driver-supplied) "XXX_media_changed" subroutine too often. :-)

TR> Apparently, if the drive is mounted and you change out disks, the
TR> drive must be unmounted and then remounted for it to acknowledge the
TR> switch.

That is, in general, a nice idea - because it is a device containing a
file system.

TR> My goal is to have a networked CDROM drive that anyone can mount and use
TR> without having to interact with the Linux server that drives the CDROM.

I reached that goal here with "usermount" (under X11, there is a "xvmount",
too).
It lets ordinary users mount (and umount) devices which are contained within
a special list.

Greetings ... Eberhard