Term 1.08 sends nothing to remote host

Post by Andrej Bau » Tue, 28 Dec 1993 02:18:22

I have a problem with term 1.08. I never got it running.
I had the same problem with term 1.07.

I compiled term 1.08 on an HP-UX (the remote machine), and on Linux.
'linecheck' works. 'test' works, i.e., term works locally on Linux
and HP.

However, when I run 'term' on Linux, it never sends anything to
HP-UX (not a single byte). I tried redirecting to /dev/modem and
/dev/cua1 (/dev/modem is linked to /dev/ttyS1). I exited from kermit
before running term. I tried redirecting directly with shell
redirection, and with -v option.

I also ran term on Linux without any options, to see if it prints
anything to stdout. It doesn't. When I run any of the clients
(trsh, tmon, ...) they just sit there and wait silently, and so does
term.

Debugging info reveal that 'trsh' communicates to 'term' (5 bytes),
but then 'term' does nothing.

Has anyone had a smiliar problem? Tnx for any help.

Andrej
-------------------

Post by Ka » Sat, 01 Jan 1994 16:11:01

: I have a problem with term 1.08. I never got it running.
: I had the same problem with term 1.07.

: I compiled term 1.08 on an HP-UX (the remote machine), and on Linux.
: 'linecheck' works. 'test' works, i.e., term works locally on Linux
: and HP.

: However, when I run 'term' on Linux, it never sends anything to
: HP-UX (not a single byte). I tried redirecting to /dev/modem and
: /dev/cua1 (/dev/modem is linked to /dev/ttyS1). I exited from kermit

hmm, does it do any difference when you link /dev/modem to /dev/cua1 ?
the cua device is the one thought out for this...
bye,Kai
(yes,I have it running this second)

Term 1.08 sends nothing to remote host

Post by Neal Ens » Sun, 02 Jan 1994 01:41:46

I'm having exactly the same trouble with Term 1.08 from my Linux PC to
SunOS system, using link modem -> cua1.  Linecheck works, perfectly clean,
test works on both ends, yet when I call using kermit to the university,
(using Xyplex terminal server BTW: and I did set up 'set session passall')
start term remotely, escape back to kermit, at prompt type
!term </dev/modem >/dev/modem&
then quit kermit, start trsh, NOTHING.  Just echoes everything I type back.

The termrc file on the remote end contains nothing but
baudrate 9600
remote

and the local one nothing but
baudrate 9600

since linecheck seems to find nothing to escape.  Could this be a flow-control
problem or something?  Should I check to see if software f/c is causing
problems with term here?  Any clues....?

.

1. term 1.08 && v.42bis => !work

I've use term happily for several months with a clean 2400 bps connection
(no escapes, id est), and recently discovered that the modems I connect to
can support v.42bis, which should at least slightly improve my throughput.
I'm using v.42bis now without term.

I tried using term, but I've failed to make it work. I know term 1.08
defaults to 2400 bps, and I'd set the interface speed to 19.2k on my modem,
so I started term on the remote end with no flags and then jumped back and
used 'term -s 19200 >/dev/modem </dev/modem'. trsh just gave me noise, and
when I'd try to reconnect and 000000-out of the remote end, it'd be locked up.
When I try to dial back into that modem, I get a long, never-ending string of
~?'s.

I've tried several different interface speeds, including 9600 and 4800,
and started term at those speeds on the remote end each time. All for nought.
All it seems to do is lock up a modem (our terminal server is stupid). The
odd thing is that using the connection without term is very clean and
workable. Noticeably faster than with v.42bis.

Is there some way to change the default interface speed in linux for the modem
device? I think this must have ought to do with it, as you can copy things
to /dev/modem and they always seemed to go out fine at 2400 bps, but I know
that has to be set somewhere. Where? How do I change it? And why does term
seem to lock up on the remote end with the 0's?

Thanks. Reply here or via email.

 - Mark

--
Mark R. Lindsey          [][] South Georgia Digital Research Institute

2. mis-mapping in vi

3. Help: cannot get term 1.08 to work

4. wrapper for su

5. Term 1.08 + what ftp?

6. 2.4.20-pre11 No mouse

7. Term 1.08 (blocking?)

8. OOPS: Reading files on an ext2 fs on a CD mounted loopback crashes the system

9. Term 1.08 Hangs/Fails

10. Term 1.08 one way (with 16550A)

11. term 1.08 problem (modem hangs)

12. Term 1.08 Hanging

13. Slackware 1.10, XFree86-2.0, Term 1.08 problem