LILO: booting DOS from /dev/hdb -- SOLVED!

LILO: booting DOS from /dev/hdb -- SOLVED!

Post by Robert Manne » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 17:02:11

I posted a couple of days ago asking how to configure LILO to boot MSDOS (yuk)
from /dev/hdb1. I had a number of helpful (but ultimately misguided!) replies.
Thanks for your help everyone - it's nice to be a member of such a friendly
community! Anyhow, for those interested, here is the answer: use any_d.b
as a loader ...

/etc/lilo.conf:

         boot=/dev/hda
        install = /boot/boot.b
        compact

        image = /vmlinuz
        label = linux
        root = /dev/hda1
        vga = 1

        other = /dev/hdb1
        loader = any_d.b  <<<< NB:
        label = msdos
        table = /dev/hdb

I got the LILO docs from Sunsite, any_d.b is documented, kind of. It says it
exists and hints that it 'swaps the drives 0 and 1 around, whatever that
means) Anyhow, I thought it worth a try so I did!

This should (IMO) be better documented ...

Thanks everyone.

R.J.Manners       Diagnostics & BIOS Development Engineer (!)
                  ICL Intel(tm) SuperServers

1. Can I put DOS as /dev/hdb with LILO ?

Hi there , how can I get LILO to work with my two drive setup
when /dev/hda is my linux drive and /dev/hdb is my DOS drive ?

My /etc/lilo.conf is as such :

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
#append="sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster"
boot = /dev/hda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
delay = 50
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /zImage
  root = /dev/hda1
  label = Linux
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hdb1
  label = DOSC
  loader = /boot/chain.b
  table = /dev/hdb
# DOS bootable partition config ends

LILO runs fine but when I reboot and try to specify DOSC at LILO prompt, I get
a "Non System Disk error" or such...

I can bot with a DOS boot floppy band then cd to drive C with
no problem though.
I made the /dev/hdb1 partition active using Linuxes fdisk too.

Any ideas ?

Both drives autodetect just fine with my AMI BIOS.
So.. I don't htink its the drives jumpers.
Any response appreciated thankyou.

PeterJordan

2. some questions

3. LILO fails to load DOS on /dev/hdb

4. Stupid Question re:magic SysRq

5. MBR on HDB? LILO booting from HDB?

6. Dell 4150 Linux + XP dual boot pitfalls

7. LILO Boot of /dev/hdb

8. Linker errors

9. Can LILO boot windows MBR on /dev/hdb?

10. Problems with LILO: Can not boot from /dev/hdb

11. LILO - possible to boot Win95 from /dev/hdb?

12. HELP wanted to boot dos6win3.1 from /dev/hdb with LILO RedHatLinux

13. Booting LILO off /dev/hdb