Slack 1.1.2 BIIG installat. problems

Post by Anton To » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 04:14:56

hello. i just got slackware 1.1.2 from ringer.cs.utsa.edu .

i have a TERRIBLE problem during installation: while my a disks
are being installed, i keep getting messages produced by gzip and tar,
such as "truncated file" and others (on some files, including
a2/bootutls, s2/shlibs, and a2/bin).

does anyone have similar problems?  did anyone solve them?  does anyone
know how to solve them (spec. how to copy msdos files to linux partition)?

                are GREATLY appreciated (by email!)

P.S. please e-mail, cuz i rarely get to read this newsgroup.

                                                Thanx a brick   :)
--

Post by Anton To » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 12:55:59

: hello. i just got slackware 1.1.2 from ringer.cs.utsa.edu .

: i have a TERRIBLE problem during installation: while my a disks
: are being installed, i keep getting messages produced by gzip and tar,
: such as "truncated file" and others (on some files, including
: a2/bootutls, s2/shlibs, and a2/bin).

i also would like to add that gzip and tar for dos dont complain
and think the files are perfect. all sizes and dates match.

the messages are referring to stdin, so evidently there is a pipe used.
may this be a problem?  may it be filesystem's fault?

                                                        thanx a `see above`
--

Post by Anton To » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 12:58:11

: hello. i just got slackware 1.1.2 from ringer.cs.utsa.edu .

also:
        i tried sls as well, but this didnt work either: it simply
        DIDNT MOUNT MY /dev/hda4 as /usr - so i couldnt even access ls!

                                                        known comment
--

Post by Philippe Stein » Fri, 04 Mar 1994 03:27:55

: hello. i just got slackware 1.1.2 from ringer.cs.utsa.edu .

: i have a TERRIBLE problem during installation: while my a disks
: are being installed, i keep getting messages produced by gzip and tar,
: such as "truncated file" and others (on some files, including
: a2/bootutls, s2/shlibs, and a2/bin).

Hm, I can't really help, but i remeber seeing a posting that said that some
distribs on some ftp servers were corrupt. I can only recoomend to try to
get your corrupted packages from another server.

byebye!

Philippe Steindl

Post by Alternately Engag » Fri, 04 Mar 1994 13:01:24

>: hello. i just got slackware 1.1.2 from ringer.cs.utsa.edu .

>: i have a TERRIBLE problem during installation: while my a disks
>: are being installed, i keep getting messages produced by gzip and tar,
>: such as "truncated file" and others (on some files, including
>: a2/bootutls, s2/shlibs, and a2/bin).

>Hm, I can't really help, but i remeber seeing a posting that said that some
>distribs on some ftp servers were corrupt. I can only recoomend to try to
>get your corrupted packages from another server.

>byebye!

>Philippe Steindl

   This was my problem.  Almost all the files on the cps201.cps.cmich.edu
archive are corrupted at approx 50% of the wya through the files.  (I've
tried gunzipping them on Linux, DOS, and SunOS.  And yes, I did download
them in binary mode. :> )

1. Slack 1.1.1 or Slack 1.1.0

        The aggresive Slackware keep someone happy. But for a seasonal unix
user like me, it is a nighmare to keep up with the newest version(so is SLS)
. I had SLS a year ago. Because upgrade means reinstall from scratch, I
gave up and delete SLS. Now I am back. I want to ensure what I get will
serve me for next year. My local BBS has Slack1.1.0. The newest version
1.1.1 just out. Can someone give me some suggestion on which to get.

2. How to display long dosnames ?

3. Installat linux without cdrom?

4. Input password in script

5. Slack 3.0.0 Boot Problem with AHA1522

6. what explains Kadaitcha Man ?

7. Slack 3.3 install problem?

8. TCP latency

9. Slack 0.99.15: Problems getting started (probably easy)

10. SOLUTION: slack 1.1.2 installation problem

11. Slack 1.1.2 Vidmode problem

12. bootstrap problem with slack

13. slack and ppp problem