Sound recording/editing utility. WHERE ?

Sound recording/editing utility. WHERE ?

Post by Tamas Badi » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 02:23:10

Hi Guys,

I'd like to use my soundcard (generic 16bit PAS) to record using my microphone.
I wonder if there is any editing tool which can edit/modify the recorded sample.
So far I can record by "cat /dev/audio > sample.au" and Ctrl-C it to stop.
It looks quite rough, but works nicely. Is there any recording tool also?

Thanks,
        Tamas

Post by Ulick Staffo » Sat, 01 Oct 1994 02:42:33

>: Hi Guys,

>: I'd like to use my soundcard (generic 16bit PAS) to record using my
>: microphone.

>get the wavplay0.21 package (I'd assume it to be in apps/sound on
>sunsite)

or just use

dd bs=8k count=10  </dev/audio >sound.au

to record a 10 second files at 8K per second.
  'There was a  master come unto the earth, | Ulick Stafford,
     born in the holy land of Indiana,      | Dept of Chemical Engineering,
  in the mystical hills east of Fort Wayne'.| Notre Dame, IN 46556

Post by Peter Suetterl » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 20:38:59

: Hi Guys,

: I'd like to use my soundcard (generic 16bit PAS) to record using my
: microphone.

get the wavplay0.21 package (I'd assume it to be in apps/sound on
sunsite)

------------------   Peter 'PIT' Suetterlin   -----------------
|   Kiepenheuer Institut     |   Sternfreunde Breisgau e.V    |
|   fuer Sonnenphysik        |                                |
|   0761/3198-210            |   0761/71571                   |

1. sound device settings for recording/playback/editing apps?

I have a proaudiospectrum16 (SB16 compatible) and I'm having a heck of
a time getting a basic sound editor to work. Can anyone recommend at
the very least just a basic sound editor that can export wav files?
I've already tried a few Slab, multitrack, and a couple others, but
none have allowed me to record. I guess to get going I'd have to know
what type of settings I should use - slab for example asks about
duplex/halfduplex/read/write....what should be the basic settings for
a card like that. /dev/audio seems to give me sound when I direct
sound to it and I have /dev/mixer....I just don't know what
combination of all these settings I should use. I'm able to record
with a utility called yarec but that's about it - I want to be able
to edit the sound files too.

Thanks,

-Tony

 Abbreviate - af 2 millenia, a btr wy t rd n wri.
         http://www.eskimo.com/~oak/abr/

2. Screen resolution problems

3. Sound recording and editing

4. DLL Problems with staticvars

5. Editing fixed-length records

6. Crack availability

7. Browse/Edit long records

8. Simple Networking Questions

9. Linux and dBase - how to edit records??

10. Trying to edit a field in a record ... need help

11. Editing fixed-length records (fwd)

12. Wanted: GNU utility (similar to sed) to edit text files directly.

13. utility to create/edit pdf..