Term locks up!

Post by Damjan Kuma » Tue, 03 Jan 1995 10:14:29

Quote:

> Ok, I finally got term to quit giving me error messages, but now
> it just sits there!  I run "termtest" and appears to be doing nothing.
> I type "trsh" "tupload" etc and I get no response whatsoever.
> I've tried running term with a remote machine and it does the same
> thing.  No errors in my term logs at all!  I'm running 2.2.9 if that
> helps.  Any info is very appreciated!

Hi!

Usually this happens to me, when I forget to escape a character.
Check your line with linecheck and escape all the character that
did not pass. Even if you "miss" one, term won't work.

Damjan.

Term locks up!

Post by Damjan Kuma » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 11:11:39

Quote:> Ok I have no gotten termtest to work on my machine!  So I did a
> linecheck with my remote system and I get a ton of invalid packet
> messages.  There are so many I don't know what I can do.  Should I escape
> them all?  And if so, how do I know which one to escape??

> My linecheck log looks something like this..

>   8 sending char
> invalid packet:   7 received valid
> invalid packet:   9 sending char
>   9 received valid
>   9 sending char

Aha, so it is a line problem. Look, at the end of your log file
you will probably find something like this:

escape xxx
escape xxx-xxx
escape xxx

This are characters that need to be escaped.

Damjan,

Term locks up!

Post by Steven N. Hirs » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 09:02:21

: Ok, I finally got term to quit giving me error messages, but now
: it just sits there!  I run "termtest" and appears to be doing nothing.
: I type "trsh" "tupload" etc and I get no response whatsoever.
: I've tried running term with a remote machine and it does the same
: thing.  No errors in my term logs at all!  I'm running 2.2.9 if that
: helps.  Any info is very appreciated!

This sounds familiar, but I can't recall the exact sequence of
fumblings that I went through bringing term up..  One thing to be very
careful about is how you install it!  Especially if you have tried
several installs with (possibly) different target methods,
i.e. shared, networked, etc.  It will put similar files in different
places for each approach.  Be _sure_ to clean up thoroughly if this is
the case.  In particular, check out /usr/lib/term!  If you ask for a
shared install, it will create a couple of files and symlinks here.
Term gets _real_ confused when started with redundant termrc files,
subdirectories with incorrect r/w permissions, etc..

If you are root on your own system, try a non-shared install as root.
If your remote system is at a commercial or edu site, they probably
won't allow non-privileged users to run setuid programs.  The symptoms
will then be _exactly_ what you describe.  In my case there were
absolutely no error messages - it simply wouldn't do anything.  All
the error messages were showing up on the sysadmin's console <g>.