ftape, uid, and XFree/mach32 questions

Post by Sin-Mei Sim » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 13:00:47

I am using the Fall 94 Yggdrasil Plag & Play Linux
I've upgraded it to XFree3.1.1, XEmacs 19.11, gcc2.6.2,libc4.6

Here are my questions:

When I boot, one of the messages that appear is:
ftape: allocated 3 buffers alined at :00230000
this particular message stays on screen for several minutes--most
annoying. I take it that this message is refering to a driver for a
tape drive I do not have. What would be the best/easiest way to get
rid of this, or at least not have it take so long?

When I try to look at some of the man pages, i get the message:
Problems setting effective uid.
What does this mean, what causes it, and what is the best way to
address it?

I have XFree up and running, but I can't get certain modes to work,
1024x768x16bit being the one I miss the most. I have the MAG MX17FG
monitor. Could someone point me at or sent me settings which would
work with the Graphics Ultra Pro and that monitor? Also, is there any
way to be able to hot-key between bit depths as well as resolutions?

Post by Paul Cifarel » Sun, 26 Mar 1995 05:52:31

|>When I boot, one of the messages that appear is:
|>ftape: allocated 3 buffers alined at :00230000
|>this particular message stays on screen for several minutes--most
|>annoying. I take it that this message is refering to a driver for a
|>tape drive I do not have. What would be the best/easiest way to get
|>rid of this, or at least not have it take so long?

At this point in the boot process the kernel is looking for your cdrom.  The
ftape message is just the last thing it did before probing.

To get rid of the ftape message, rebuild the kernel and answer "no" to
"Include QIC-117 support [y]" when you do "make config".  See the README in the
/usr/src/linux directory on how to build the kernel.

To reduce the time it searches for the cd, include only your cd when you
configure the kernel.  The kernel that comes with the Ygg boot disk has
quite a few cd drivers in it, as it should.

--
Paul Cifarelli

1. Ftape problem, XFREE problem (independent questions)

Hi,

I have two questions, independent of each other.  Both problems
are workable, but annoying.

I am not new to Linux, I have been using it for a while
now, and have done some simple kernal driver things.  I glance
at EVERY c.os.lin.help posting to make sure my questions
haven't been asked before.  This is therefore an unflammable
question (:-)

Ftape:

I've got it working great.  I've got the Colorado 250 Internal,
and I have all of the ftape stuff working for 99.15

Tar works great, I've backed my whole hard drive a couple of times.
Except, in order to get it working completely I had to move
to libraries out of the set of files to be backed up.  If
these two libraries were in the set of files ftape would go
chugging away happily until it got to these files, and would
then just stop.  No errors, no warnings, it would just stop.
It is not a space problem.  These two libs were the curses libs,
libdcurses.a and libncurses.a (may have the exact names wrong).

I can use curses, so they don't seem to be corrupt. The only thing
strange that I saw from them is that they are owned by "sys" and
the group is "sys".  These are the only two files I've found
like that.  Ideas?  It is simple to just move them whenever I have
to back up, but I'd like to know the story.

XFree:  I had a #9 Level 11 ISA card (surprise to me, since I paid
for a VLB card.  When I found out that the wrong card has been installed
the salesman said "Gee, I wonder how that happened?").  X worked
great with the ISA card and my CTX 17" monitor.  Once I got the
ISA replaced with a VLB card, I get some strange X things.  It seems
I have to startx twice in order for the 1100x900 to work.  The
following is the "diff" for the two startx runs:

---First time I do startx------------------

(--) S3: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 110MHz
(**) S3: Mode "1024x800": mode clock =  72.000
(**) S3: Mode "1152x900": mode clock =  85.000
(**) S3: Mode "800x600": mode clock =  40.000
(**) S3: Mode "640x480": mode clock =  25.000
(**) S3: Virtual resolution set to 1152x900

---Second time I do startx------------------

(--) S3: Detected a BrookTree Bt485 RAMDAC
(--) S3: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 85MHz
(**) S3: Mode "1024x800": mode clock =  72.000
(**) S3: Mode "1152x900": mode clock =  85.000
(**) S3: Mode "800x600": mode clock =  40.000
(**) S3: Mode "640x480": mode clock =  25.000
(**) S3: Virtual resolution set to 1152x900

It seems that they only difference is that it does not detect
the RAMDAC the first time, and that the Mac dot clock is different.

The first time I run it the 1152x900 is either a blank screen or
a very snowy screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark Coyle

U of Minn CS Department

2. PPP to AT&T WorldNet?

3. ati mach32 & xfree

4. match pid to port?

5. XFree 3.1.2 /Mach32 memory leak

6. Network is ok?? What do I do next???

7. Q: MACH32 EEPROM modes usable/readable for XFREE ?

8. AIX 4.1, DHCP and Windows

9. XFree Mach32 woes!

10. XFree, ATI Mach32, NEC 5FGP, 1280x1024

11. No cursor with Mach32 & XFree 3.1

12. Mach32 (XFree 2.0) problem

13. XFree Mach32 history and problems