EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! AMD 486DX2 80 CHIP!

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! AMD 486DX2 80 CHIP!

Post by Warren Timm » Mon, 09 Jan 1995 01:37:48

I am thinking of updating my 486 DX 33 (intel) chip and mother board to an AMD
486 DX2 80 chip from Galaxy Computers.  Does anyone know anything about this
chip, or about this company?  If not, can you reccomend a good source for
a similiar chip and mother board?  BTW, the Galaxy price on this arrangement
(486 DX2 80 AMD, mother board includes seven expan. 3 VLB and 4 ISA it comes
with the ZIP socket for P-90 upgrades and has a 72 hour burn-in) for about
365$  Is this great or am i just missing something?  Information would be

eciated very much.  Email at:

Thank You very much in advance.  AND, the reason I posted to THIS group...
Are there any conflicts between the 80 Mhz AMD chip and Linux?  I have heard
that Linux doesn't like chips higher that 66Mhz  is this true?  Thanks again.

Warren Timmer

Post by jle.. » Wed, 11 Jan 1995 11:47:48

>I am thinking of updating my 486 DX 33 (intel) chip and mother board to an AMD
>486 DX2 80 chip from Galaxy Computers.  Does anyone know anything about this
>chip, or about this company?  If not, can you reccomend a good source for
>a similiar chip and mother board?  BTW, the Galaxy price on this arrangement
>(486 DX2 80 AMD, mother board includes seven expan. 3 VLB and 4 ISA it comes
>with the ZIP socket for P-90 upgrades and has a 72 hour burn-in) for about
>365$  Is this great or am i just missing something?  Information would be

Are you sure about that upgrade socket?  I've not heard of any boards that are
compatible with 486DX chips and Pentium chips.  Don't you mean a P24T upgrade
socket?  That's usually an oversized ZIFF or non-ZIFF socket with more pins
than the 486sx or DX can use.  The extra pins are for the mythical P24T
"Pentium technology" upgrade chip that Intel can't seem to get out the door.
This chip is supposed to perform better than a 486, but not as well as a real
Pentium system.  Personally, I think the 486DX4 chips might have killed the
demand for the P24T.

Quote:>Thank You very much in advance.  AND, the reason I posted to THIS group...
>Are there any conflicts between the 80 Mhz AMD chip and Linux?  I have heard
>that Linux doesn't like chips higher that 66Mhz  is this true?  Thanks again.

I find that real hard to believe.  Maybe you heard that Linux helps bring out
the bugs when a DX2-66 is overclocked to 80 Mhz.  I see no reason why Linux
should fail on a faster chip if that chip is being used at it's rated speed.
If it does, I'd suspect defective hardware.

                               |          OR

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu

Post by Joerg Mert » Wed, 11 Jan 1995 18:48:14

: I am thinking of updating my 486 DX 33 (intel) chip and mother board to an AMD
: 486 DX2 80 chip from Galaxy Computers.  Does anyone know anything about this
: chip, or about this company?  If not, can you reccomend a good source for
: a similiar chip and mother board?  BTW, the Galaxy price on this arrangement
: (486 DX2 80 AMD, mother board includes seven expan. 3 VLB and 4 ISA it comes
: with the ZIP socket for P-90 upgrades and has a 72 hour burn-in) for about
: 365$  Is this great or am i just missing something?  Information would be

: eciated very much.  Email at:

: Thank You very much in advance.  AND, the reason I posted to THIS group...
: Are there any conflicts between the 80 Mhz AMD chip and Linux?  I have heard
: that Linux doesn't like chips higher that 66Mhz  is this true?  Thanks again.

: Warren Timmer

I can't complain about. But I have a 5 V CPU. Beware of the 3.3 V
technologie, since most mainboards still have some problems. But it's
just fast and kernel recompile takes about 7 min :-) from scratch !

cu
--
Solong & Happy Hacking

| Stardust's Linux System :   Data, Fax & Voice 49 30 3627345          |
`Fatal Error: Found [MS-Windows] System -> Terminating Virus...'

Post by Robert W. Cashm » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 06:15:51

|> I am thinking of updating my 486 DX 33 (intel) chip and mother board to an AMD
|> 486 DX2 80 chip from Galaxy Computers.  Does anyone know anything about this
|> chip, or about this company?  If not, can you reccomend a good source for
|> a similiar chip and mother board?  BTW, the Galaxy price on this arrangement
|> (486 DX2 80 AMD, mother board includes seven expan. 3 VLB and 4 ISA it comes
|> with the ZIP socket for P-90 upgrades and has a 72 hour burn-in) for about
|> 365$  Is this great or am i just missing something?  Information would be
|>
|> eciated very much.  Email at:
|>

|> Thank You very much in advance.  AND, the reason I posted to THIS group...
|> Are there any conflicts between the 80 Mhz AMD chip and Linux?  I have heard
|> that Linux doesn't like chips higher that 66Mhz  is this true?  Thanks again.
|>
|> Warren Timmer

Warren,

  I have upgraded my system from an AMD 486DX2-50 to a 486DX2-80 and am having
problems.  I do not blame them on my AMD chip, though.  I have an ATI Graphics
Ultra Pro board.  Its the VLB model.  I also have a VLB multi I/O board which
has a caching IDE controller on it.  In any case, these boards worked fine when
the system was running at 25 Mhz, but now that it is at 40 Mhz, things are
terrible.  I've removed the Multi I/O card and replaced it with a 16bit board
which does not cache.  I think I will be buying a new motherboard soon.  I
think that its VLB is the problem.
  I guess the point is, you won't have problems with the 80 Mhz and Linux.
You may have problems with the 80 Mhz and any VLB cards with the motherboard.
From the readings I see on UseNet, I've noticed that other people have had
problems with VLB combinations.  My problems had occured in both DOS and
Linux environments.  I still have some problems in Linux when I run XV and
try to do some color editing functions.  Sometimes the system crashes when
I start X.  I tried upgrading to X11R6 (XFree86 3.1) and that did not help.
Make sure you will have time to try out the motherboard before you decide
to keep the system.

--Robert Cashman
  MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Post by Bram Smi » Wed, 18 Jan 1995 09:19:00

>: I am thinking of updating my 486 DX 33 (intel) chip and mother board to an AMD
>: 486 DX2 80 chip from Galaxy Computers.  Does anyone know anything about this
>: chip, or about this company?  If not, can you reccomend a good source for

Don't know the company, do know the CPU. I've sold a good quantity of
them, and they're completely compatible. I'm running one in my own system
now and it's just fine.

Quote:>I can't complain about. But I have a 5 V CPU. Beware of the 3.3 V
>technologie, since most mainboards still have some problems. But it's
>just fast and kernel recompile takes about 7 min :-) from scratch !

hmm, what kind of memory and harddrive subsystem do you have ?

I personally haven't seen many problem specifically with 3.3V boards yet.
They seem no better or worse than other boards, in fact we use the same
boards (can be jumpered to either). 3.3V CPUs are slightly cheaper, and
since they require less cooling (none for the AM486 DX2/66 3V and just a
heatsink for the AM486 DX2/80 3V) that also brings the price down (and
assembly costs if you're thinking assembled systems...) and reliability up
(those little fans seem to have a quite high failure rate).

    v__
  <"___\____     Bram 'mouser' Smits.

*  Truly songs and tales fall utterly short of reality,                       *
*  O Smaug the Greatest and Chiefest of Calamities  - JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit *

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! AMD 486DX2 80 CHIP!

Post by fr.. » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 02:43:14

: |>
[...]

: From the readings I see on UseNet, I've noticed that other people have had
: problems with VLB combinations.  My problems had occured in both DOS and
: Linux environments.  I still have some problems in Linux when I run XV and
: try to do some color editing functions.  Sometimes the system crashes when
: I start X.  I tried upgrading to X11R6 (XFree86 3.1) and that did not help.
: Make sure you will have time to try out the motherboard before you decide
: to keep the system.

: --Robert Cashman
:   MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Hello Robert,

I think the ATI is your problem. The c't (a german computer magazin) claims that
all ATI chips (including Mach64) are only specified for a maximum frequency of
33 MHz. Hence your 40MHz VL bus overcharges the ATI. Maybe this is the reason
for your problems.

Bye,

Frank

Post by nic » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 06:54:10

>|> I am thinking of updating my 486 DX 33 (intel) chip and mother board to an AMD
>|> 486 DX2 80 chip from Galaxy Computers.  Does anyone know anything about this
>|> chip, or about this company?  If not, can you reccomend a good source for
>|> a similiar chip and mother board?  BTW, the Galaxy price on this arrangement
>|> (486 DX2 80 AMD, mother board includes seven expan. 3 VLB and 4 ISA it comes
>|> with the ZIP socket for P-90 upgrades and has a 72 hour burn-in) for about
>|> 365$  Is this great or am i just missing something?  Information would be
>|>
>|> eciated very much.  Email at:
>|>

>|> Thank You very much in advance.  AND, the reason I posted to THIS group...
>|> Are there any conflicts between the 80 Mhz AMD chip and Linux?  I have heard
>|> that Linux doesn't like chips higher that 66Mhz  is this true?  Thanks again.
>|>
>|> Warren Timmer

>Warren,

>  I have upgraded my system from an AMD 486DX2-50 to a 486DX2-80 and am having
>problems.  I do not blame them on my AMD chip, though.  I have an ATI Graphics
>Ultra Pro board.  Its the VLB model.  I also have a VLB multi I/O board which
>has a caching IDE controller on it.  In any case, these boards worked fine when
>the system was running at 25 Mhz, but now that it is at 40 Mhz, things are
>terrible.  I've removed the Multi I/O card and replaced it with a 16bit board
>which does not cache.  I think I will be buying a new motherboard soon.  I
>think that its VLB is the problem.
>  I guess the point is, you won't have problems with the 80 Mhz and Linux.
>You may have problems with the 80 Mhz and any VLB cards with the motherboard.
>From the readings I see on UseNet, I've noticed that other people have had
>problems with VLB combinations.  My problems had occured in both DOS and
>Linux environments.  I still have some problems in Linux when I run XV and
>try to do some color editing functions.  Sometimes the system crashes when
>I start X.  I tried upgrading to X11R6 (XFree86 3.1) and that did not help.
>Make sure you will have time to try out the motherboard before you decide
>to keep the system.

>--Robert Cashman
>  MIT Lincoln Laboratory

        Bleeding edge technology hurts!

Post by jle.. » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 14:31:41

>I think the ATI is your problem. The c't (a german computer magazin) claims that
>all ATI chips (including Mach64) are only specified for a maximum frequency of
>33 MHz. Hence your 40MHz VL bus overcharges the ATI. Maybe this is the reason
>for your problems.

I'd say it's a motherboard or motherboard config problem.  I'm running an ATI
Graphics Ultra Pro VLB card in my AMD DX2-80 system with no trouble.  My
motherboard recomended a wait state on the VLB when running >33Mhz...and I
took it's advice.

                               |          OR

 Mime attachments are OK       |
 But please ask before sending unsolicited huge files.

http://inorganic5.chem.ufl.edu

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! AMD 486DX2 80 CHIP!

Post by J. DeBe » Sat, 28 Jan 1995 00:35:12

I've heard from some people that VLB won't work above 33MHz. Something
to do with bus speed limitations or such.

I'll try to get some more info unless someone else comes up with it but
do'nt count on it soon.

PCI is supposed to be usable up at bus speeds of 80MHz+.

--
jd

Box 51067 Pacific Grove, CA, 93950-6067 USA

                I don't speak for anyone or anything.
                Sometimes not even for myself.

Post by Mark A. Horton KA4Y » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 00:57:29

: >PCI is supposed to be usable up at bus speeds of 80MHz+.

: That's odd.  The PCI Specifications 2.0 and 2.1 limit the PCI bus clock
: rate to 33 MHz.  There is an optional 66 MHz timing extension in PCI 2.1.
: It will be very difficult to make 66 MHz *slots* reliable using low cost
: ASICs and glass-epoxy PC boards.  You might see high-end 66MHz motherboards
: (586DX2-132?) with integrated 66 MHz PCI video after a while, though.
: --

It seems to work ok at 40MHz.
        - Mark

--
"InfoMagic Linux Developer's Resource - we support it!"

Post by Nikolas Dagl » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:42:21

: I've heard from some people that VLB won't work above 33MHz. Something
: to do with bus speed limitations or such.

Yes .. and no, the VLB is just a direct connection to the CPU, at speeds
above 33Mhz you have to limit the number of cards ( at 40Mhz only 2 cards )
and be very careful about the cards you stick in it. I seem to recall
that some Diamond cards were capable of 40Mhz operation - albeit with one
wait state.

: PCI is supposed to be usable up at bus speeds of 80MHz+.

No, PCI is fixed at 33Mhz, independant of CPU clock.

Cheers. Nick Daglis.

Post by Harm Hanemaaij » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 21:42:45

>: >PCI is supposed to be usable up at bus speeds of 80MHz+.

>: That's odd.  The PCI Specifications 2.0 and 2.1 limit the PCI bus clock
>: rate to 33 MHz.  There is an optional 66 MHz timing extension in PCI 2.1.
>: It will be very difficult to make 66 MHz *slots* reliable using low cost
>: ASICs and glass-epoxy PC boards.  You might see high-end 66MHz motherboards
>: (586DX2-132?) with integrated 66 MHz PCI video after a while, though.
>: --

Most current adapter cards don't make optimal use of the PCI bus throughput.
Out of the PCI graphics chipsets, only a few properly implement PCI
burst mode (x-1-1-1-...), which allows over 100 Mb/s.

Moreover it seems none of the current PCI motherboard core logic
chipsets have smart enough CPU-to-PCI buffers to sustain burst mode
for more than a few words; the best are limited at 60 Mb/s or so.

Popular chipset such as the S3-864/Trio64 and S3-964 don't seem to
manage much more than 20 Mb/s throughput anyway.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! AMD 486DX2 80 CHIP!

Post by Robert W. Cashm » Sun, 05 Feb 1995 09:11:18

To all:

  I just want to thank everyone for their input on my AMD DX280Mhz and VLB
problem.  There is a computer show scheduled for this month near my home.
I will be purchasing a new motherboard there, after reading through the
manual for it of course.  I have tried to fiddle with my BIOS settings on
my current motherboard, but it has not helped.  I have even tried running
the AMISETUP program which I found on the net which allowed me to change
functions in my CMOS which my BIOS interface did not let me try.  It
did not help.  After I try the new motherboard, I will post if it worked.

--Robert W. Cashman
  MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Post by Geir Magnuss » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 01:07:59

> >   I have upgraded my system from an AMD 486DX2-50 to a 486DX2-80 and am having
> > problems.  I do not blame them on my AMD chip, though.  I have an ATI Graphics
> > Ultra Pro board.  Its the VLB model.  I also have a VLB multi I/O board which
> > has a caching IDE controller on it.  In any case, these boards worked fine when
> > the system was running at 25 Mhz, but now that it is at 40 Mhz, things are
> > terrible.  I've removed the Multi I/O card and replaced it with a 16bit board
> > which does not cache.  I think I will be buying a new motherboard soon.  I
> > think that its VLB is the problem.

> I always understood that VESA was not meant to run above 33MHZ. I know
> some motherboards that I bought were specifically sold to me with that
> warning. I also had a 486DX50 in a VLB board and the VLB was not useable,
> even in DOS!

> >   I guess the point is, you won't have problems with the 80 Mhz and Linux.
> > You may have problems with the 80 Mhz and any VLB cards with the motherboard.
> > From the readings I see on UseNet, I've noticed that other people have had
> > problems with VLB combinations.  My problems had occured in both DOS and
> > Linux environments.  I still have some problems in Linux when I run XV and
> > try to do some color editing functions.  Sometimes the system crashes when
> > I start X.  I tried upgrading to X11R6 (XFree86 3.1) and that did not help.
> > Make sure you will have time to try out the motherboard before you decide
> > to keep the system.

> Very good advice.

I have an AMD2/80 VLB system.  The mb as 3 VLB slots.  In them are a
Hercules Dyanamite Power video card, a Adaptec 2842 scsi controller, and an
el-cheapo IDE/floppy controller.

I have had only one problem, and that was that the
scsi controller would sometimes lock up.  The solution was to slow down the
address set-up time on the motherboard for that specific card. (This is how
the motherboard referred to it.) It was a simple matter of moving 1 jumper.
 It solved the problem immediately, and I have had no problems since.

I find it to be a wonderful system, very fast, no problems (only ever
crashed in DOS/Win(tm), which is not the fault of the hardware...).  Plus,
the added bonus that I don't have IntelInside.

Feel free to e-mail with questions.

geir

Geir Magnusson Jr.                No, Mr. Gingrich, I don't really want
Dept of Physics and Astronomy     to hunt giraffes, thank you.
Johns Hopkins University

1. AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

: I just upgraded from a cyrix 486dx2-66 to an AMD 486dx2-80 but I'm
: having problems.  At bootup I get as far as mounting the root filesystem
: read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a CTRL-ALT-DEL
: I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with the
: AMD dx2-80?  I ordered a Cyrix since I've had no problems with the Cyrix
: chips but they send me an AMD - I'm sending it back tomorrow.

My AMD DX2/80 works fine.  However, it required some changes to the
jumpers on the mainboard: these were in addition to changing the clock
speed.  Assuming your mainboard supports the AMD chip, you should be
able to contact the vendor to find out the correct settings.

My mainboard arrived with incorrect settings, and it did have some strange
problems (failing to start on the initial power up, failing to reset,
etc.)  I would suspect your mainboard, not the CPU.

Dave

: Steve

2. Q: PPP compression flags

3. kernel: 80 80 80 80

4. ....

5. lilo L 80 80 80 80.....

6. How to configure routing tables

7. Upgrade 486DX2/80 to (???) ?

8. Help! I've run 'xdm' and I can't get up!

9. FS: 486DX2-80 system (running FreeBSD)

10. LILO & SCSI - L 80 80 80?

11. Lilo gives me an "L 80 80 80"

12. LILO "L 80 80 ... 80" Message

13. AMD-80 + Linux 1.2.0 = 3.77 BogoMips?