setting 100-column & 132-column modes

Post by BARTHOLDI Laure » Thu, 23 Jun 1994 04:37:05

Hello ev'rybody,
I have a vague feeling this is a silly question, but I found the answer
nowhere in the FAQs...
how do I set fancy 100x50, 132x43, 80x30, etc text modes?

Ideally I would go for a 100x37 text mode, which is the best I could display
using 8x16 fonts. I'm sure there are utilities already written to do that,
but I could find none.
thanx,
        larry

Post by Andries Brouw » Thu, 23 Jun 1994 05:47:17

>Hello ev'rybody,
>I have a vague feeling this is a silly question, but I found the answer
>nowhere in the FAQs...

Maybe you should have read this group for three days.

Quote:>how do I set fancy 100x50, 132x43, 80x30, etc text modes?
>Ideally I would go for a 100x37 text mode, which is the best I could display
>using 8x16 fonts. I'm sure there are utilities already written to do that,
>but I could find none.

I am not so sure these utilities exist. For current kernels, changing
video mode is impossible. You can only set video mode at boot time.
And for that, see the lilo documentation. (Or, use the ugly rdev or vidmode
commands.)

1. Setting 132 column mode under linux

Basic info:  kernel v2.0.0, svgalib 1.2.10, all up-to-date gcc packages,
             Cirrus Logic 542x video card.

Thanks to everyone's help, I finally got 2.0 up and running, with network, zip
drive, and cdrom support.  Now I would like to try to setup 132 column support
(if possible) on my system.  My current termcap file lists con132x25 as one of
the consoles, but the actual compiled console (under /usr/lib/terminfo/c) is
just a link to the generic linux console.  How do I compile the different
consoles from the termcap file and how can I change my video mode to accomodate
the console?

Thanks,

Joe Miller

2. SCSI Incompatibility

3. 132-column mode in vi

4. Secure CGI Path Access (translate file path "/" to user homedir)

5. Setting 132 column mode under linux

6. XF86Config, ET4000-ISA & Samsung Syncmaster3

7. Display 132 columns in text mode?

8. mount floppy, startx

9. 80/132 column modes with curses

10. 132 Column Mode On SCO Console

11. Help with 132 column mode

12. how to switch to 132 columns in console mode?

13. 132 column mode in VC's