VLB or eisa or PCI ??

Post by Janne Soimas » Thu, 20 Jan 1994 15:57:12

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.admin ]
[ Author was Janne Soimasuo ]
[ Posted on Wed, 19 Jan 1994 06:55:57 GMT ]

Hello from cold Joensuu (-26 C  ~ -10 F) !!!

We are going to buy a server to manipulate satellite images (a file ~ 100 Mb)
so the use will require quite lot from the bus of hard drive.

I'd like to have some hints about different bus-models, is there any
difference in practice ?

The system is going to be something like
        - 468 dx2 66
        - 32 Mb memory
        - 2 Gb HD
        - 1 or 2 Mb display controller
        - ethernet-connection

Does the linux run well with SCSI-VLB ? support ? what about if also
the display controller is in VLB ?

What about eisa bus ? any advantage in practice ? supported scsi-controllers or ethercards ?

Finally PCI and/or Pentium ? Is there any supported SCSI- and display
controllers ? ethercards ?

Is there any supported SCSI-controllers with 4-8 Mb cache in general ?
opinion about integrated SCSI and display controllers ?

Is the integrated SCSI-2 of DECpc XL supported ?

So shall I buy:
        isa-motherboard with 2 VLB or
        eisa-vlb motherboard (for example DECpc MTE)
        PCI-vlb motherboard (for example DECpc XL)

Thanks in advance !!!!

Janne Soimasuo
Faculty of Forestry
University of Joensuu, Finland

1. question about EISA/VLB and EISA/ISA/VLB MBs

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my 386/40 machine to a 486DX2/66
machine and I need to buy a motherboard.  I have to have VL BUS since I
have a #9 VL BUS card coming. other than that I also wanted an EISA bus.
I'm finding it rather confusing and difficult to find true EISA/VESA
motherboards. most of what I find are "hybrid" boards that also have ISA
slots such as 3EISA/2ISA/2VL or such thing. and these tend to be
substantially less money than the true EISA/VL boards.

what I would like to know is what performance differences I'll see between
a true EISA board and one of these hybrid boards.  is the extra money for
the true EISA/VL board worth it?  will I run into difficulties or
incompatibiities with the hybrid boards that I wouldn't if I went with a
true EISA/VL board.  the reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of breaking
down and buying one of the hybrid boards.

also some boards use 72 pin simms and some use 30 pin simms.  the 30 pin
simms are cheaper but again... is it worth the extra money to get 72 pin
simms and the motherboard that supports them?

please help clue me in on anything I don't know or may not have thought of.

oh it might also help to know that I plan on using the board to run the
Linux operating system if that makes a difference.

thanks for your time and advice I really appreciate it.

- Jeff

2. 2.2.0-pre7 Mach64 XF86 Xserver

3. EISA or VLB (EISA th

4. sed end-of-line anchor

5. using xdm breaks "more"

6. EISA/VLB/PCI Network accelerator?

7. SVGA lib with cirrus 5446 (was fade probs)

8. Advance Systems Dual Channel SCSI/IDE ISA/EISA/PCI/VLB cards

9. EISA, VLB, PCI MB for linux?

10. Diamond Viper VLB -- PCI-VLB mixup????

11. Problem installing Linux on AIR EISA/VLB motherboard

12. FreeBSD 2.1.0 install on a Micron 486 VLB/EISA PC causing grief