RedHat Internet installation

Post by Joshua Beal » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:33:15

Hi All,

Is there a way to install a Red Hat system across the internet?  I do
not just mean downloading all the data from the internet; I mean sitting
down at a terminal, and installing Red Hat onto a box that is at a
remote location.  Possible?

--
Joshua Beall
Heraldic Enterprises

RedHat Internet installation

Post by Sybren Stuve » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:41:18

Joshua Beall enlightened us with:

Quote:> Is there a way to install a Red Hat system across the internet?

I don't know, but I do know that there is a way to install Debian
remotely on a system that's already got a running Linux installation on
it. Perhaps a possibility?

Sybren

Post by mjt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:30:54

> Is there a way to install a Red Hat system across the internet?  I do
> not just mean downloading all the data from the internet; I mean sitting
> down at a terminal, and installing Red Hat onto a box that is at a
> remote location.  Possible?

... you can with suse; not sure about rh

RedHat Internet installation

Post by Obelu » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:15:54

You also can do a remote install with Mandrake. This probably means Red Hat
has the same sort of feature.

Quote:> Hi All,

> Is there a way to install a Red Hat system across the internet?  I do
> not just mean downloading all the data from the internet; I mean sitting
> down at a terminal, and installing Red Hat onto a box that is at a
> remote location.  Possible?

> --
> Joshua Beall
> Heraldic Enterprises
> Web Design and Consulting
> http://HeraldicEnterprises.com

RedHat Internet installation

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:05:16

Quote:> Hi All,

> Is there a way to install a Red Hat system across the internet?  I do
> not just mean downloading all the data from the internet; I mean sitting
> down at a terminal, and installing Red Hat onto a box that is at a
> remote location.  Possible?

> --
> Joshua Beall
> Heraldic Enterprises
> Web Design and Consulting
> http://HeraldicEnterprises.com

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s...

one option:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s...

ken k

ken k

RedHat Internet installation

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:19:20

]> Hi All,
]>
]> Is there a way to install a Red Hat system across the internet?  I do
]> not just mean downloading all the data from the internet; I mean sitting
]> down at a terminal, and installing Red Hat onto a box that is at a
]> remote location.  Possible?

No, probably not. To install it the machine will have nothing on it-- no
operating system, etc. This makes it hard to install it remotely since
it has no ears to listen to you with.

]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/
]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s...

Those all require you to be at the machine, and tell how you can then
install from a remote location.

]one option:
]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s...

]ken k

]ken k

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:57:24

> ]> Hi All,
> ]>
> ]> Is there a way to install a Red Hat system across the internet?  I do
> ]> not just mean downloading all the data from the internet; I mean sitting
> ]> down at a terminal, and installing Red Hat onto a box that is at a
> ]> remote location.  Possible?
> No, probably not. To install it the machine will have nothing on it-- no
> operating system, etc. This makes it hard to install it remotely since
> it has no ears to listen to you with.

Haven't tried it over the internet, but over a LAN it's no problem, assuming
the server has a full serial BIOS redirection (one can hardly call something
server without). You'd probably need a dhcp(-relay) server near the box, to
get it running over the internet and a connection to the terminal server
connected to the serial port.

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM