Install LILO on 3rd HD?

Post by Name withheld by reque » Sat, 19 Mar 1994 19:23:45

I have installed Slackware 1.1.2 on my 3rd (SCSI) HD and currently use
bootlin 1.4 to boot it from hard disk. I use SCSI driver to access the
SCSI HD from both DOS and Linux because I have already 2 IDE HD as 1st
and 2nd HD (and I don't want to throw them away).

Under such installation, is it possible to use LILO boot from HD? I have
reserved some space on all three HDs to allow new partitions to be added.
I have read the LILO V1.4 document. To my understanding, if the HD, which
hosts the linux root directory, can NOT accessed via BIOS (in my case it's
on 3rd drive and therefore not accessable via BISO,only from driver), you
will NOT be able to use LILO to boot from HD. Of course I can put zImage
and LILO on floppy and boot Linux form floppy.

Am I correct?

Any suggestion/solution are welcome!

Yanming PENG

1. Solution: install LILO to boot Linux on 3rd HD

Thanks to all the people who respond my post, I have successfully
installed LILO to boot Linux on 3rd HD. Now, I can use Lilo to boot from
Linux, MS-DOS 6.2 and MS-DOS 3.3.

The trick is to put zImage, all *.b and the map file on a BIOS accessable
drive (i.e. floppy or 1st or 2nd HD). In the lilo config file, add the
following lines:

boot=...
install=...
map=...
etc.

Finally, run lilo to install the map (and reboot).

Yanming PENG

2. **** Dual PCI Ethernet problem ****

3. Boot the 3rd HD from Boot Manager/LILO

4. Error after Executing STARTKDE in a term window conencted with VNC?

5. 3rd IDE HD - LILO sez "Sorry, don't know how..."

6. Termvision

7. Q: Install LILO on 2nd HD, remove 1st hd, boot from 2nd?

8. Twinhead laptop with Trident9385

9. Accessing 3rd HD goes to the 1st HD

10. Help! Installing on 3rd IDE HD

11. How do I install on a 3rd physical HD

12. Installing 3rd HD ?