HELP: Problem with fsck

Post by Matt » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 15:44:03

My apologies in advance if this is a newbie question, but I'm at a loss.
I booted Linux (version 1.1.8) and I received a message during the boot
informing me to run fsck manually on /dev/hda2 (my Linux boot drive).  So,
I logged in as root and ran

% fsck /dev/hda2

The fsck seem to run ok and it corrected a lot of things.  Each time I was
prompted, I responded y.  Now however, when I attempt to boot Linux, I get

Enter runlevel:

message.  I typed s (for single user mode ... I think) and redid a fsck.
That seemed to make things worse.  Now I can't even get it to boot single
user.  It just sits there at the Enter runlevel: prompt.  At this point,
I'm just going to give up and reinstall Linux (I just got it working ...
*sigh*), but I'd like to know what I should do in case it comes up again.
I'd hate to have to reinstall everytime I get things up and going.

Thanx in advance!

Matt

1. Help, problem with fsck

We are having problms with SCO 3.2.4. After adding another disk ( 2GB )
to systems containing a 1 GB disk, the boot fsck fails. It ends up with
'BOOT UNIX NO SYNC'. I suspect the problem relates to a scatch device
but as of now its got the better of me.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
[*****************************************************]

[ Applied Visual Systems   * 0161 794 5012            ]
[*****************************************************]

2. File on disk- encrypted or not?

3. fsck fsck fsck say I

4. Mount after reboot but no files

5. webhoasting for linux users

6. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

7. linux partition

8. Help FSCK problems every time I boot Solaris 2.5.1

9. Help! fsck problems after canceled update

10. Boot Problems, LILO and fsck, need RECOVER help

11. Linux ext2fs help, please! Fsck problems.

12. fsck problem in 2.5.1, help!