Ethernet & SLIP concurrently??

Post by Kevin Spous » Thu, 16 Jun 1994 02:00:53

I would like to have my OS/2 box NFS mount Linux drives via ethernet (SMC Elite
cards on thinwire) yet still have my SLIP connection on the Linux box.  Is this
possible?  It would seem to be a fairly simple thing to do (There I go,
thinking like a human again) but before I dive in, I wanted to know if
A)  Is it possible  -and-
B)  Anything I should be aware of?
I assume I'd need a valid IP for the OS/2 machine since it would (I think)
become a node on the internet, right?

1. Trouble w/SLIP && Ethernet

I can't seem to connect to my friend's computer after he has SLIPed into
our school.  It works fine until he is connected.  I know the problem has
to do with two things, either the nameserver (because if I make that
invalid I can login) or the default routing.

Here's my setup -- there are two Linux machines in my apartment,
connected via an Ethernet coax network.  My computer is a standalone,
while my roommate's has a 14.4 on it.  When I setup the network, I gave
us random IP addresses (prob. not a good idea) and everything works fine.
Then, when he SLIPs to the school I cannot login.

Now, I can temporarily fix this problem by making the nameserver on his
machine invalid (it usually specifies the nameserver at the school).
Now, this indicates to me that there is just some stupid routing problem,
and when the nameserver is present it says that my IP address is invalid
(it is).  What I want is for my roomates machine to see the ip address of
our net and send those packets out on the net first, not try to send it
out to the SLIP connection first.

Conversely, I don't want to set the default setting in the route table
from the SLIP connection because that would require explicitly routing
all the possible connections I might want to make, and that would be a pain.

--

2. ioctl32 consolidation

3. slip & ethernet

4. Question on Java plugin

5. Networking with Ethernet & SLIP

6. Does linux has route socket ?

7. SLIP, ethernet, & IP forwarding

8. stability: kde 3.0 vs kde 2.2 ?

9. RedHat 4.0 & SCSI & Ethernet & 32 Bit FAT problems

12. 没有人用中文吗?

13. SLIP / PPP && Compression