problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

Post by Jonathan H. Abra » Wed, 24 Aug 1994 23:20:57



I have term working well with telnet, ftp, mosaic, etc.  I tried
doing a tredir 119 remotehost:119 on my linux system and running
the trn binary from sunsite, but I always get uknown host.  I
have setenv NNTPSERVER localhost and made a dummy /etc/hosts
file with 127.0.0.1 and the address.  What am I missing?

Jonathan H. Abrams                          McMaster University

 
 
 

problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

Post by Patrick Reijn » Thu, 25 Aug 1994 01:38:16



Quote:>I have term working well with telnet, ftp, mosaic, etc.  I tried
>doing a tredir 119 remotehost:119 on my linux system and running
>the trn binary from sunsite, but I always get uknown host.  I
>have setenv NNTPSERVER localhost and made a dummy /etc/hosts
>file with 127.0.0.1 and the address.  What am I missing?

Yes, this one is a bit tricky. The wrong one is the remotehost:119.

This should be: 'your_departments_nntp-server:119'

Be warned: You can go playing a complete football game before you can read your news articles. (at least I could :-( )

>Jonathan H. Abrams                          McMaster University


Patrick Reijnen

--
************************* Patrick Reijnen *************************
* Department of Computer Science, Catholic University of Nijmegen *

* WWW:    http://{atlas,zeus}.cs.kun.nl:4080/homepage.html        *

 
 
 

problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

Post by Patrick Reijn » Thu, 25 Aug 1994 01:40:14



Quote:>I have term working well with telnet, ftp, mosaic, etc.  I tried
>doing a tredir 119 remotehost:119 on my linux system and running
>the trn binary from sunsite, but I always get uknown host.  I
>have setenv NNTPSERVER localhost and made a dummy /etc/hosts
>file with 127.0.0.1 and the address.  What am I missing?

Oops: I forgot: Also setenv NNTPSERVER localhost is wrong. Localhost must be your departments nntp-server.

>Jonathan H. Abrams                          McMaster University


Patrick Reijnen

--
************************* Patrick Reijnen *************************
* Department of Computer Science, Catholic University of Nijmegen *

* WWW:    http://{atlas,zeus}.cs.kun.nl:4080/homepage.html        *

 
 
 

problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

Post by Patrick Reijn » Thu, 25 Aug 1994 17:23:03



>Ok, I DID have the actual nntpserver as the 'remotehost', i.e. I
>redirected my local port 119 to port 119 on a system networked
>to the system I ran term on remotely.  And this system will accept
>the nntp connections.

>>Oops: I forgot: Also setenv NNTPSERVER localhost is wrong. Localhost must be your departments nntp-server.
>Are you sure about this?

Yes, quite sure, although I'm running tin instead of trn. I had to set both tredir and the environment variable to the remote nntp server....

>The whole point is to run trn on my linux
>system, so I have to setenv NNTPSERVER on my linux system.  I have
>redirected my linux systems 119 to the nntpservers 119 so I thought
>that NNTPSERVER should be the local system so that trn tries the
>local 119 port which is redirected by tredir to the remote 119.
>If I specify setenv NNTPSERVER to the real remote nntpserver under
>linux how is trn going to connect to that local system?
>Jonathan H. Abrams                          McMaster University


Patrick Reijnen

--
************************* Patrick Reijnen *************************
* Department of Computer Science, Catholic University of Nijmegen *

* WWW:    http://{atlas,zeus}.cs.kun.nl:4080/homepage.html        *

 
 
 

problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

Post by Jonathan H. Abra » Thu, 25 Aug 1994 23:15:32



>Yes, quite sure, although I'm running tin instead of trn. I had to set both tredir and the environment variable to the remote nntp server....

Well, this contradicts the instructions in the term-howto file which says to
tredir your local 119 to the nntpservers's 119 and then setnv NNTPSERVER
to the localhost...  

At any rate, I have tried both what you suggest AND what the term-howto
says, and neither work.  If I specify any name at all I get unknown host,
and if I setenv NNTPSERVER to 127.0.0.1 I get network unreachable...
Jonathan H. Abrams                          McMaster University

 
 
 

1. using term and tredir

I have term 1.14 installed annd working on both my home machine and
office machine. trsh and tupload work flawlessly. I cannot however
get tredir to work the way I would like to use it -- hopefully
ignorance on my part. What I would like to be able to do is ftp
and telnet from my home machine using the network attached to
my office machine. I have tried numerous tredir setting and
have had no luck. I also have had to try several route commands
on my home machine to keep it from complaining about the lack of
a network. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cyrix 6x86, Redhat 3.0.3 install trouble

3. S1692DL Tiger 2 unknown PCI bridge :unknown Host bridge :unknown PCI Device

4. Processors for Linux

5. How to redirect trn port using term?

6. Setting up a[ NFS] Server for file sharing

7. unknown host - unknown problem!!

8. Where to get it, how to install

9. term/tredir problem - "Possible I/O"??

10. problem with term and tredir

11. TERM tredir 119 119 problems

12. Term, tredir 4000 23? problems.

13. TERM, NNTP and TRN problems