Yggdrasil summer '94, TMC-850 SCSI

Post by Howard C. Taylo » Mon, 18 Jul 1994 18:25:53

Problems installing Linux from the Yggdrasil summer '94 CD

I am having problems getting Linux to recognise my SCSI adapter.

The initial hardware configuration of my machine was as follows -

486SX 25MHz Motherboard unknown Taiwanese clone with AMI 7/7/91 BIOS &
8Meg RAM
Promise DC-2032 Cached IDE controller
Conner CP3364 (360Meg) & Conner CP3204 (212Meg) IDE Hard Drives
Future Domain TMC-850MER SCSI Controller (no BIOS)
TEAC CD-50 CD-ROM drive
Audiowave AISP Sound Card
Hayes ESP Serial Card
Boca RAM memory expansion card with 4Meg
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5422 VGA Card
3.5" & 5.25" Floppies
Colorado Jumbo 250 Tapestreamer

On booting Linux from the floppy, I typed "linux tmc8xx=0xCA000,5" at
the"boot:" prompt as described in the manual. The program announced that
I had a Seagate ST01/ST02 SCSI controller with no attached devices. As a
result it went on to give a Kernel Panic message.

Following these problems, I stripped the machine down to remove all but
the SCSI, IDE and VGA cards - this made no difference. I replaced the IDE
controller with a standard non-cached type and the VGA with a Trident
card - this made no difference. Disconnecting the tapestreamer also had
no effect. I have now reinstated all of the cards.

Note - the full setup works fine with DOS/Windows, NT & OS/2 2.1.

The manual seems to suggest that the TMC-850 should have a BIOS chip, so
I have obtained and fitted this (FD 8.4). The BIOS works fine under DOS
but has not helped with Linux - if I type nothing at the "boot:" prompt
it doesn't find a SCSI adapter and if I specify "linux TMC...etc" then
the situation is as above.

I have read the SCSI HowTo, FAQs etc and have been unable to make any
further progress.

I would appreciate any assistance anyone can give with these problems,
preferably mailed directly to me.

Howard C. Taylor

Post by John Edward Mill » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 05:56:41

| On booting Linux from the floppy, I typed "linux tmc8xx=0xCA000,5" at
: the"boot:" prompt as described in the manual. The program announced that
: I had a Seagate ST01/ST02 SCSI controller with no attached devices. As a
: result it went on to give a Kernel Panic message.

My experience was similar: it would not consistently find SCSI devices on
the controller, and sometimes it would find the same device at two or more
LUNs.

I found that by (a) setting the CD-ROM for SCSI LUN 0 and (b) using the
max_scsi_luns=1 boot parm it works reliably now.  But if there isn't a
device at LUN 0, all bets are off.

John.

1. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

Hi,

  I can't install my Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with the following SCSI
related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 240MB SCSI-2 hard disk
  3) 1 Sound Blaster 16 AIC-6360 sound card
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-1 CD-ROM (I say it is SCSI-1 because ezscsi.exe provided by
     Adaptec detects it as a SCSI-1 one without support for parity checking).

  I have tried to install Linux with the following two configurations :
  1) connect the CD-ROM to SB16 card and the hard disk to 1542C controller :
     I typed the command
     Linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
     to boot Linux but failed after a long period of detecting my CD-ROM
     and dumped a lot of messages about the queue status.
     I noticed that the parity checking is enabled.

  2) connect the CD-ROM and hard disk to 1542C with parity checking disabled
     while just connect the sound output from CD-ROM to SB16 card only :

     I used the default booting process and it failed a lot faster and told
     me that it can't mount the CD-ROM (kernel panic : unable to mount VFS).

  These two configurations work fine under both OS/2 2.1 and DOS/Windows.

  Now I need help to the following questions :
  1) How can I install Linux using this CD-ROM with such config ?
  2) Which other CD-ROM distribution can I use to install Linux ?

  One of the major reasons to buy CD-ROM is to run Linux. Failing to do so
frustrated me a lot. Please help me !

Thanks in advance,
   Eddie

2. distribution.

3. Media Magic ISP16/NCR SCSI/Sony CDU33 CDROM/Yggdrasil summer '94

4. Setting physical memory size.

5. Yggdrasil Summer 94 to Fall 94 upgrade -- HOW TO???

6. **Instantly bill OVER 90 COUNTRIES with VIAWEB.**

7. Can't install Yggdrasil Summer '94

8. need help to make a script

9. Yggdrasil Summer '94: Doesn't use CDROM controlled by SB-16

10. Yggdrasil Summer '94, PAS16 & Texel 3021 can't install

11. X11 Yggdrasil Summer '94 ??

12. Yggdrasil summer '94 & Mitsumi FX001D CD-ROM

13. YGGDRASIL Summer 94 - Plug 'n Play my BUTT!