Swap error after adding RAM?

Post by Randy Mill » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Swap error after adding RAM?

I was running RedHat 4.2 on my P120 with 16 MB RAM and it was working
great, albeit a little slow.

I recently swapped my 2 8 MB SIMMs for 2 32 MB SIMMs and RedHat would
no longer boot properly.

Here is the error message I received (there is some missing because is
scrolls by SO FAST that even after several reboots I still was not
able to copy it all with 100% accuracy):

Activating Swap Partition
<order of this may be mixed up>
can't map
<I think> /etc/rc.d/sysinit.rc
fork:out of memory
<then over and over> do_wp_page: bogus page at address 400A4B24
(00105000)

I reloaded from CDROM completely, since I had not customized my system
much and still got the same error message.

I as able to reload and run Caldera Lite 1.0 without difficulty.

Any ideas? What additional details would you like?

---

NOTE: To reply to me,  remove "NO-SPAM" from my e-mail address

Randy Millis
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
403-267-0222
Web: http://www.cal.shaw.wave.ca/~rmillis/

Swap error after adding RAM?

Post by Jan Walte » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Swap error after adding RAM?

> I was running RedHat 4.2 on my P120 with 16 MB RAM and it was working
> great, albeit a little slow.

> I recently swapped my 2 8 MB SIMMs for 2 32 MB SIMMs and RedHat would
> no longer boot properly.
[munch..]
> I as able to reload and run Caldera Lite 1.0 without difficulty.

> Any ideas? What additional details would you like?

It looks to me that you got some bad RAM - if you have another os on the
machine, how does that behave?

The fact that the system dies right after activating its swap space is
conincidental - it just happens to have wanted to use the memory at that
bad address. Other distributions do things in a different order, and
it's pretty much luck to hit the memory address that's flaky or just not
working right sometimes.

 If you don't think bad ram is the case, bring the system up in single
user mode (the command 'linux single' at the lilo prompt should do it
for you if you have a default install), and comment out your swap
partition in your /etc/fstab file. Then reboot the system, and see where
it dies. My guess is that it will die somewhere in the middle of
processing the startup scripts ...

Good luck,

Jan

1. Adding ram and increasing swap partition

I am running RH 7.1 and when I installed it, I had 512MB ram in the
system so I created a 1024MB swap partition.  I just added another 256MB
dimm today and was wondering if I really need to resize my swap
partition?  I have Partition Magic on my windoze drive, so that would be
easy to do.  So far, the system is running great so I am wondering if
there REALLY is a need to increase my sawp or not.

Thanks,
Don

2. Linux on a 2nd Hardrive?

3. adding RAM and second swap partition

4. Capacity of 3490E drives on AIX?

5. Added RAM, what to do about SWAP

6. solaris x86 and olvwm

7. use un-cachable RAM as swap on RAM drive

8. Why no special files for net devices?

9. swap -s and swap -l: disk reserved and RAM reserved

10. Out of virtual memory error with 8M RAM and 16M swap.

11. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

12. Adding Swap: 257000k swap-space (priority -1)

13. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"