1.1.73 make inet.o failure

Post by Charles Cashi » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 05:19:08

Cannot compile 1.1.73 with all network options turned off. (I think it has
something to do with all network options turned off.) If you enter
/usr/src/linux-1.1.73/net/inet/Makefile, and examine the last default
option ...
     echo | as -o inet.o
If I understand this line, it says to assemble an object called inet.o from
an empty input. (Among all the wierd lines I have ever seen, this has to
count as one)

The next line constucts an archive using inet.o as input
     ar rc network.a unix/unix.o inet/inet.o
Two lines down is where the failure strikes ...
  /usr/bin/ar: failure reading string table size in /usr/src\
        /linux-1.1.73/net/network.a
Thank you for any help or insight you are able to give.
Charles Cashion

--
We are sorry, but the number you have reached is an imaginary number.
Please hang up, rotate your phone ninety degrees, and dial again.

1. PPP problems with 1.0.9 thru 1.1.73

I have a cintinual problem with running ppp on my linux box.
I have tried all versions of linux 1.0.9 thru to 1.1.73 and get
the same problem. I am only using 2.1.1 ppp.
The problem which has only just recently started happening(it
used to work great) is when i first make a connection to my
provider through either minicom or kermit and then start
pppd by
          pppd /dev/cua0 38400

I get beeping from the terminal program an then after
some time my ppp link finally comes up but stays up for no
longer than a few minutes before the pone hangsup on me...
Does any body have any clue what is happening here.
I get the following lines logged to syslog

unable to create pid file: No such file or directory
input: Unknown protocol received(c025) received!

Any help would be great.
Steve Baxter
ps : could you mail if possible....

2. Iptables SSL redirect

3. Kernel Change Summary 1.1.72 -> 1.1.73

4. emacs/bash and ssh2 for SunOS 5.8

5. 1.1.73 & IDE CD-ROM ???

6. Restart the Network?

7. gnu emacs 19.28/linux 1.1.73/X86Free-3.1: cursor is opaque

8. xgen

9. Kernel Change Summary 1.1.72 -> 1.1.73

10. Kernel change summary 1.1.73 -> 1.1.74

11. Sony CDU31a Read light problem with 1.1.73

12. ERESTARTSYS in accept() - 1.1.73 tcp/ip bug

13. NFS broken in 1.1.73?