multicast extensions to the linux kernel

multicast extensions to the linux kernel

Post by Matthew G Newcom » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 04:33:27

G'day,
    Have the multicast extensions to the linux kernel gotten to the
point where I can use a linux machine for listening on mbone traffic?
                                Matt

multicast extensions to the linux kernel

Post by Alan C » Fri, 09 Sep 1994 19:16:09

Quote:>G'day,
>    Have the multicast extensions to the linux kernel gotten to the
>point where I can use a linux machine for listening on mbone traffic?

The pre pre pre 1.3.0 network snapshot (8)) is running nv, mwhod and some
other applications. IGMP is now in /proc but igmpd hasn't got written yet.
mrouted is almost unportable but I've recently been pointed at some gated
support for multicast that I'm now exploring.

I'll try and make a 1.1.48+NET3.024 snapshot soon without all the network
drivers being supported, with possible IPX bugs and with sock_packet broken.
(I said it was pre-pre-pre...)

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

1. Linux multicast is slower than Windows multicast ?

I'm developing 2 applications :

1- A program that runs under linux (mandrake 9.0) and sends multicast
packets (code is very simple, similar to this:
http://www.linuxsocket.org/books/Sockets/programs/part4/chap17/mcast_...)

2- A program under Windows2000 that receives multicast packets (sent
by linux program)

I noticed that linux transmitter is very slow. I tried to transmit
same packets using Windows application and I noticed that win2000 is
faster (10 times) than Linux. I tried different packet sizes:
transmission under linux is slower than Windows only for big packets
(>20KB).
Have somebody noticed same behaviour ?
Is there some configuration (kernel or user) that can improve Linux
performance ?

Thanks,

Manuel

2. Loads of Linux Links

3. cryptographic extensions to Linux kernel

4. ROUTE add

5. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs

6. dot clocks

7. Custom file extensions with Apache/frontpage98 extensions

8. Information

9. multicast in kernel 2.0.0

10. adding multicast route to the kernel

11. ip multicast problem (ioctl SIOCGETRPF) in kernel 2.2.8

12. Multicast Message under kernel 2.4

13. Bug in 2.2.16 kernel multicast?