XFree exit to text mode S3 problem : solution (summary)

XFree exit to text mode S3 problem : solution (summary)

Post by Angelo Harits » Fri, 22 Apr 1994 13:06:41

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies in my recent query regarding the font garbling from
the S3 XFree2.0 server. I realised taht the answer was hidden in the howto's
somehwere. Anyway, since people asked a post of the solution, here it is:

If you have a recent and relatively full installation (eg slackware) just
type runx istead of startx. It will do the trick.
This is what runx does (if you don't have it, create it):
restorefont -w /tmp/fontdata

restorefont -w /tmp/fontdata
startx
restorefont -r /tmp/fontdata

You will need restorefont; find it in svgalib-1.0.1.tar.gz +
It was also indicated that restoretextmode & restorepalette should be
run to do a safer restore to text mode but it was not necessary for me.

I added an alias called 'runx' or 'startx' that will just do an exec from
your current shell (so that you will have less processes and a bit more
memory when starting X):
bash: alias runx='exec /usr/bin/runx'
tcsh: alias runx 'exec /usr/bin/runx'

setfont was also reported to work. I did not try it.

Angelo
--
#include <standard.disclaimer.h>
 Angelo Haritsis, Applied Systems Section

1. Problem: exit Xfree86 -- text shifted. Solution?

Greetings fellow Xfree86 users,

I am running Xfree86 3.3.1 on an Austin Edge CD laptop with an 800x600
active matrix screen and CL GD 7543 chipset.  I have managed to get
a couple of timing configurations to work -- one at 40 MHz and another
at 50 MHz -- and although I haven't been able to get any information
from Austin about the safe horizontal and vertical frequencies for the
display, the configurations appear to work well.

The problem I have is that text mode is messed up in the other virtual
consoles when I run X-windows, and is not properly restored when I
exit from X-windows.  I have read the README for the Cirrus chipset
and the "troubleshooting" section of the xfree86 web page, and I don't
know what is going wrong.

The symptoms are as follows.  After X has started up, the text in the
other virtual consoles is shifted to the right by about one third of
the screen width.  The cursor is not visible.  The consoles still work
-- I can log in to them and enter commands -- but the display stays
shifted.  Executing "reset" causes the cursor to reappear, but it
disappears again after a command is entered, and the text stays
shifted to the right.  The consoles stay this way after I exit from X
windows.  Apparently only a reboot solves the problem.

I saw this problem with the 3.2A beta and 3.3 releases as well.  Does
anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Regards,
Stephen Kerr
University of California, San Diego

2. fork() and parent pid

3. S3 Savage4, XFree 3.3.6 and exiting X

4. FAQ. X11. Getting and Setting Up the XS3 server.

5. XFree S3 server not exiting cleanly

6. is soname on AIX needed ?

7. Text mode doesn't restore properly when exiting X.

8. Soltice Backup for Solaris 8.

9. XF86 2.0 Mono/Hercules does not restore text mode on exit

10. How to restore text mode after exiting X??

11. Text mode timing prob. on X exit...

12. XF86-4 fails to restore text mode at exit

13. --- text mode restore on X windows exit ??? ---