XF86_S3 with #9 trashes video mode on exit

XF86_S3 with #9 trashes video mode on exit

Post by Steve VanDevend » Wed, 27 Apr 1994 09:00:38

I've gone through comp.os.linux.help and comp.windows.i386unix
looking for the answer to this because I could have sworn I've
seen this problem discussed before, but couldn't find anything,
so I'll ask again.

I just got a #9 GXE Level 11 ISA-bus card, and so far I'm
ecstatic about it except for one thing: if I exit the X server,
the video mode isn't restored properly.  The console font appears
to be fine, but the video timing is way off and I get a badly
scrunched, distorted text-mode display.

I'm using 132x43 text mode and 1024x768, 65 MHz dot-clock
graphics.
--

"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the

Post by CHRISTOPHER M M » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 15:33:46

: I just got a #9 GXE Level 11 ISA-bus card, and so far I'm
: ecstatic about it except for one thing: if I exit the X server,
: the video mode isn't restored properly.  The console font appears
: to be fine, but the video timing is way off and I get a badly
: scrunched, distorted text-mode display.
Hi, you need the utils included with svgalib.
These come with slackware 1.2.0, basically there is a script
called runx which saves and restores  your fonts before,
and after X.  I also heard on comp.windows.x.i386 that
this problem will be fixed in XFree 2.1.1

--
-Chris May, Computer Science, University of MA, Amherst

1. XF86Setup trashes console video on exit...ideas?

Hi,

   Just installed RH 4.2 and XFree86 3.3.1, but having trouble getting
XF86Setup to properly return the video console mode on exit, everything
runs fine until I "save and exit" after running xvitune.  Console seems
to be responding OK, I just can't see what it's saying (thin horiz lines
which would seem to indicate a scan rate problem, swapped the monitor
and still no good).

   Hardware, if it matters, is a P60 and a Diamond Stealth 32 VLB,
which I am attempting to use to drive a plain VGA monitor, though I
have to use and SVGA monitor to see the initial setup screens.  Once
I've told it to usa a VGA, either monitor works for the remaining steps.

   I think I have the VGA16, SVGA, and W32 servers loaded, and XF86Setup
configures to use the SVGA.

   Any thoughts?
                                             Thanks in advance,
                                                         --Glenn

2. Internet Email for Terminals

3. retain extended video mode(eg.132X43) upon fvwm exit

4. NFS Problems

5. Bad video mode upon exit

6. Help! app lock up upon entry - shared libraries suspected

7. X exits to bad video mode

8. simple question!!

9. Video mode after exiting X ?

10. Video problem when exiting graphics mode

11. X S3 drivers doesn`t restore video mode on exit

12. Using XF86_S3 kills my plain text mode