PPP support lost on recompile

Post by Lance M. Ba » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 02:55:57

I have an odd problem.  I have Linux kernel 1.1.59 installed, and I recently
installed the Slackware 'n' disks for networking capabilities.  After
installing these and setting up all the addresses and such, I recomplied my
kernel.  Everything went fine -- except I now do not have PPP support in my
kernel.  I had it before, and just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked
the boot-up messages from previous boot-ups and sure enough it was there
(PPP support that is).  Now when I run pppd I get the message 'sorry ppp
support is not available on this machine.'

Any thoughts?

Lance Ball
--

Lance M. Ball           |       Imagination is greater than knowledge.
Brooklyn, New York      |                                             -A.E.

PPP support lost on recompile

Post by Joe Slo » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 05:13:38

Quote:>I recomplied my kernel.
>Now when I run pppd I get the message 'sorry ppp support is not available
>on this machine.'
>Any thoughts?

It would seem, sir, that you must recompile yet again, and pay particular
attention, during "make config", to the lines concerning ppp support.

--

 A linux machine! because a 486    / ACCELERATE your Windoze NT box?
 is a terrible thing to waste!     / -9.8 m/s^2 works quite well!!!

PPP support lost on recompile

Post by Al Longye » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 02:05:13

Quote:>I have an odd problem.  I have Linux kernel 1.1.59 installed, and I recently
>installed the Slackware 'n' disks for networking capabilities.  After
>installing these and setting up all the addresses and such, I recomplied my
>kernel.  Everything went fine -- except I now do not have PPP support in my
>kernel.  I had it before, and just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked
>the boot-up messages from previous boot-ups and sure enough it was there
>(PPP support that is).  Now when I run pppd I get the message 'sorry ppp
>support is not available on this machine.'

1. PPP is a network driver. Did you select it when you built the new kernel?
   Did you enable TCP/IP networking?

2. Did you run the lilo install properly so that you are using the kernel
   which you built? Use 'uname -v' to check this.

The pppd process is looking for the device 'ppp0'. It tries to read the
interface flags from it. If this gets an error then the pppd process will
print the above message.

Have you looked at the '/proc/dev/net' file to see if ppp0 is there?

(Please, don't just do a ls and say "it's empty because the size is 0".
Trust me. It is not empty. Do the 'cat /proc/dev/net' operation. Don't
use 'more' or 'less'. Use 'cat'.)

--

1. After recompiling kernel with PPP support, pppd says the kernel has no PPP support!

Hello,
   I have recompiled my 2.0.35 (Slackware 3.6) kernel with PPP support
(directly in to the kernel), but after copying my zImage file to /vmlinuz,
and re-running lilo, and rebooting the machine, pppd says that there is no
ppp support in my kernel.  I know I'm booting with my new kernel - Any
ideas out there?

Thanks a alot for your help, in advance -- Ivan.
5

2. Help: File Info

3. Help please: Lost Iso9660 support after recompiling kernel

4. SoCal Startup Company

5. Recompiled kernel, lost atapi zip drive,ppp permission

6. Sun NFS export

7. Kernel recompile with ppp support but when I try it says not compiled with it

8. How to convert directory name and files

9. How do you recompile the kernel to support ppp?

10. Problems recompiling for PPP support

11. Lost Hard Drive of recompile

12. Kernel recompile lost sound

13. Kernel recompile loses networking, RH 7.3